How to save time going from Ver 3 to 4???

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by OLDXTECH, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OLDXTECH

OLDXTECH Registered Member

I must run at only 40kbps dialup as DSL not here yet.

I want to upgrade from Ver 3 to 4 and I can download Ver 4 at a pal's house who has DSL, BUT, there is a problem!!

If I follow ESET's suggestion to uninstall Ver 3, then Ver 4 must then download not only all of its code, but all new data files as well, AND THIS MUST BE DONE ON MY CPU AND NOT HIS. THIS TAKES HOURS. It is too much trouble to take my CPU to his house!!

Is there any way to "save" all the data files I have for Ver 3 and use them for Ver 4 INSTEAD OF DOWNLOADING THEM ANEW??

Hope someone can help.

Cheers. Jim

I

2. nickster_uk

nickster_uk Registered Member

Not sure if what you're asking is possible but imho, you're better off sticking with v3 until ESET have dealt with all the v4 bugs.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Geez, give me a frigging break with the," you're better off sticking with v3 until ESET have dealt with all the v4 bugs." Version 4 is stable as hell and more stable then about 5 other top suites right now. Yes there will always be issues with a setup or two but Eset should not have to continue to put up with this BS about version 4. It works so well it is faster then Avira and more stable. And trust me, I would know.

~Offensive phrase removed.~

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2009
  4. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

I thought this was a fair question in terms of asking if one can Download the 31 MB Install File to a friend's Faster desktop And via Pen Drive transfer "Start the Install" from his "slower" Desktop. There's so much logic (to me, at least) to the thought that it Ought to be an FAQ question.

I'm guessing "No" but What's the answer?

5. silverfox55

silverfox55 Registered Member

Looking at the posts here, V4 still has quite a few bugs.

I agree with Nick, stay with V3 for a few more months yet

6. nickster_uk

nickster_uk Registered Member

Apologies for touching a nerve ;)

V4 has plenty of bugs...however, I will credit ESET for dealing with some of them but others have been present since the beta release and the fact that many people have been complaining about them since that time leads me to think the BS that ESET 'put up' with is completely justified. IMO, the suite itself is operational to a certain degree but 'stable as hell' is pushing the truth just a tad.

7. stratoc

stratoc Guest

i tried v4 again about a week ago after some horrible experiences, and well it's still installed. it's using memory a lot cleverer than v3. the pc no longer seems just a teeny bit slower on v4, in fact the opposite. The only problem i can find with it that isnt in v3 is the perfmon recognition thing, which i have learnt is simply because v4 uses security center 2 and microsoft cant be bothered to fix their reader. and this isnt really a problem anyway.
    hope im not saying this too soon but i think i will stay with v4 (still prefer the look of v3)
    i tried it again simply because this forum compared to other security programs is relativly tame with not many issues at all, most of the issues are not bugs.
    it annoys me when people say things like look at all the problems they're having, it's a help forum people post problems (and troll) here that's what forums are for.

8. stratoc

stratoc Guest

oh and the firewall learning feature? first time i registered my whole steam catalogue without a not responding crash on tf2 :cool: in manual training of intermitent mode.

9. patch

patch Registered Member

ESS appears now to be functioning at a level sufficient to move it from public beta to general release. This level of stability was not present for the first 6 months of ESS V4 release.

If ESET are putting up with BS, it is entirely consistent with the s..t they were peddling for that 6 months.

Hopefully we can now move on. Wether you think it will happen again depends on what you think ESET has learnt from the experience.

10. OLDXTECH

ESET REPLY TO: How to save time going from Ver 3 to 4o_O

Here is what ESET has to say:

=========================================

Hello,

No there isn't. As they are different programs they require different files.

Thank you,
    Eset Technical Support

==========================================

From various posts in this Forum, it looked to me like at least some of the files were the same from V3 to V4 [such as the Firewall, 1050 right now].

Can anyone compare these files? Maybe I am asking too much and they are right, or maybe it would at least be too much trouble and prone to disaster.

The last time I "updated" [3.0.650 to 3.0.684], I got disconneted 4 times, had to start from scratch each time, and the 5th time it finally took after about 5 hours at 38Kbps!!!. ESET needs to "smarten up" their downloading code so that you don't have to start over. MS and many others can do this - so ESET needs to.

Guess I wlll wait for another few months and then try at 2AM.

11. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Re: ESET REPLY TO: How to save time going from Ver 3 to 4o_O

What is the problem?

As you say, you can download the V4 installation file (faster) at a pal's house so as COSMO26 stated you can then bring the installer back to your home-pc with a usbstick/pendrive or with a burned CD/DVD.

12. OLDXTECH

The problem is that [as I stated] I have to download all the data files [the files with all the virus signatures etc etc - there about 9 of them!] at the slow pace of 30Kbps effective rate and this takes hours. There does not seem to be any way to download these files remotely and move them to my computer - unless someone is holding back on how to do it.

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Re: ESET REPLY TO: How to save time going from Ver 3 to 4o_O

If you are using v3.0.684 that's good. .684 is great. Stay with it, because v4 is really slow during bootup. As bootup finishes v4 goes into a scan that leaves you sitting there another few minutes waiting to use your computer. I have dealt with this since May and today I reverted back to v3.0.684. What a difference. v3 gets the same definitions as v4 and does as good a job IMO.

14. COSMO26

Did ESET tell you that you HAD to Download the Install File to YOUR desktop ONLY?

Will a Moderator Or "accepted" Forum Expert Pls Confirm IF you can download the file to a faster (ie) DSL desktop, Copy to a pen Drive, Copy File to His Slower Desktop, and Start the Install. So far Only Brambb thinks Yes but I'm doubtful. If ESET stated "No" prior, disregard this part.

I'm confused about (9) data files to download. Maybe Dial-up shows things DSL downloads Do Not, but I only see a steady download of what appears to be a Single 31 MB File........

ESET really needs an FAQ on slow download machines and what you Can/Cannot do to hasten the Download/Install time involved.....

15. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Ah, he means the signatures database. I also thought it was only for the install package. That DB is not really up to date in the installar package and then he still needs to download a -for him- heavy amount of data at home.

Marcos stated in this thread that the installers will -in the future- update more frequently, so then you just have to do a normal update after you installed NOD32.

16. COSMO26

Thanks for that clarification. We lead a sheltered life having DSL speed - I'm never aware of all that's happening but the dial-ups show the painful details I now understand in his post.

I still want an official answer on the Pen Drive idea and hope a Moderator will show-up. Your (in this thread) link appears to address Definition Updates Vs. Version changes, so I think this is still a valid question. The Definition updates download alone would be a lesser burden than doing the whole thing on a slow machine if it's Do-able. I just can't tell if Eset's License audit depends on data about "Where the Version Install App is Downloaded TO" vs. "where Installed and Used".....

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.