How to save this news video?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by stefan_waelti, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stefan_waelti

stefan_waelti Registered Member

Hi, I'd like to save the video located here, it seems to be flash or silverlight, but I just can't find any way to save it on my hard drive. I don't see any mms link in the page source code. Firefox Download Helper is of no help either in this case. Can anybody help on this?
    Thanks

2. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Dont know if link is correct but videosource is in there and in wmv format mms://a988.v101995.c10199.e.vm.akamaistream.net/7/988/10199/3f97c7e6/ftvigrp.download.akamai.com/10199/cappuccino/production/publication/France_2/Autre/2009/S22/39456_mc_20090525.wmv

May be embed video link is hidden when page source is viewed, but look at page info, Media - or use Firebug.

You can use VLC to convert/save. Ctrl-R, network tab, insert link, press convert/save. Select profile/customize. Even if you dont use or like VLC it will eventually have a purpose :)

3. stefan_waelti

Hi Bambo, thanks 4 your help. Yes, the mms link works:)
    How did you spot it?
    How can I look at page info? With a third party soft such as Firebug or VLC, is that how you managed to do it?

4. stefan_waelti

I managed to see it using Firebug ;)

Man, that's strange--how come source code viewing hides parts of the html code? What's the use to use source code viewing in browsers if some parts of the code stay hidden? Beats me.

5. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

I used Firebug because it is easier.

But rightclick page and chose "View Page Info", is also in Tools menu. In the pic link is above marked line. Greyed out because hidden or not visible, I dont know. Dependencies tab is from an extension https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2214 Also useful, actually more than media tab.

Well hidden source is protecting their content, must be why some sites are tricky.

Just tried Unplug https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2254 did not work either.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2009
  6. stefan_waelti

Thanks Bambo. View page info is nice to discover these hidden mms links.

I don't see this same feature in Opera? Maybe there but under another name? If not, that's a plus in favor of FF...

7. Bambo

Bambo Registered Member

Dont know Opera but Im sure it has view source.

If you look at source in Firefox it says something like "getAjaxCtnt('#playerVdoZone','blochtml.php?bloc=player&id-video=&id-categorie=EMISSIONS_MOTS_CROISES','#playerVdoZoneCtnr');" for the player, there is more. I guess that and more code is "executed" and Firebug show the real effective code presented to viewers. Firefox page info picks it up as well. May be it make sense to see original code and not result of Ajax calls or what it is. I dont know.

8. FiOS Dan

FiOS Dan Registered Member

I can confirm this.

9. stefan_waelti

Yes Opera has Source code viewing [which doesn't help in present case, neither in Opera nor FF, because Source Code Viewing in both browsers is not sufficient to show mms links I'm interested in], but it doesn't seem to have something such as View Page Info in FF [which does show the links, as explained by Bambo]-or at least I can't find the equivalent feature in Opera.

Anyway, I'm already glad I manage to do it in FF and that I learned something interesting and useful to me today. Thanks again guys :)

Last edited: May 28, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.