How to save money on: cell phones

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Article

2. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I have the T-Mobile, 'Individual Basic' plan, 300 mins. $29.99.

Heck I don't even use hardly 150 mins a month.

I wish someone had a $15-$20 a month plan with 150-200 mins.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Please don't remind me.

Verizon is reaped great rewards from my excessive minutes useage over the years but i still don't have the stomach to upgrade to the next plan up at nearly 100 dollars a month just for a telephone. So i'm trying to cut back and sort my usage more reasonably now, i hope i can live up to it. o_O

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

If you use 300mins or less a month prepaid is the cheapest. And all you do is talk & text.

I use 2 different companies. Coverage is paramount, so look at carriers coverage area.

The best is Page plus.
    http://www.pagepluscellular.com/

Uses Verizons network. They are a MVNO of Verizons. They just resell Verizon airtime at their cost schedule. Which is a lot lower than Verizons. They are 2 seperate companies. Don't go calling Verizon asking about Page Plus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MVNO

Page Plus uses any basic Verizon phone. $30 at Wallys. Different minute purchases available. If you buy from Page Plus directly the denominations are $10, $25, $50 & $80 cards. The best value is the $80 cards which gives you 1400 minutes & an expiration date of 120 days. There are discounters though & I end up paying $72 - $78 for an $80 card.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

If you want to stick with TM. They have prepaid. The best deal is 1st to buy a $100 card. It puts in Gold Rewards. Which any subsequent refills, even the $10 cards extends the expiration of your minutes 1 year. Also the $100 card gives you 1000 minutes & a year to use them. TM will even switch from your post paid plan to their prepaid plan for free. As long as your not under contract of course. So you could use 150 minutes amonth & it'd only cost you $15 a month.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Funny thing, i also have a Pre-Paid Verizon wireless handset laying around here dormant someplace. Seems i got more bang for the buck with it, especially since most of the people i associate with are on the same service use as Verizon and even on Pre-Paid cell, mobile to mobile is free, although i believe they do charge a daily rate with it. I'll have to re-check that again.

EASTER

7. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

A Verizon phone is a Verizon phone. There is no difference between a Verizon prepaid or postpaid phone. And Verizon Inpulse service, their prepaid brand is expensive. Page Plus is the way to go.

8. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

9. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

I'm moving overseas soon so I won't be sticking to TM, I plan to go with Virgin Mobile.

Also something no one has mentioned if you want to really SAVE on cellphone calling, get a WiFi capable phone, put 'fring' in it to use Skype, that is if you want something with IM chatting besides Skype which is also in fring, or just get the Skype client and make VOIP calls over your cell and get no charges, or use any minutes... :D

Skype will work over the internet connection but that will use minutes, so to take real adavantage of it you need a WiFi capable phone that's supported by fring or Skype.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.