How to run always run TDS as administrator account ?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Defenestration, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I want TDS to run at start-up on my Limited user account, but this causes problems, as mentioned in the Sticky thread "RUN AS for TDS-3 - TRACE scan, multiple user problems".

I know you can use Run As... from the context menu to run it as an administrator, however I want it to always run under the administrator account.

How do I set-up TDS to always run (ie. even auto-start) under an administrator account ?

2. Defenestration

I've currently let it run as normal, and just chosen to ignore the trojans found in the WINDOWS\TEMP folder on startup.

Will TDS be affected in any other way by running it under a non-administrator user account ?

PS. I hope this issue can be fixed in the upcoming TDS-4!

PPS. I'd also like to see an option for delayed startup in TDS-4 (Ad-Aware has an option like this).

3. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

You can set up a shortcut to run under different credentials whenever it is launched. Right click shortcut, select Properties, Shortcut. Select Advanced. Check Run with Different Credentials. This is really the same as Run as, with the only advantage that the user selection dialog box pops up on every launch of the shortcut.

You could also use the Scheduled Tasks facility (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Scheduled Tasks). Two of the selections for scheduling are When my computer starts and When I logon. Both should be available to execute with a predefined Run as credential. Can't vouch for it working since I've never used it, but it looks like it should be fine.

Blue

4. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

The other big problem you are likely to experience when running under a limited account is the inability to delete files or registry entries for any trojans found

Many of the modern trojans will try to limit the permissions on a file that they drop to prevent removal, TDS run in an admin account can normally be set to give it self a higher level of access permissions than the system generally. This doesn't happpen on a limited account

This isn't a TDS specific problem but happens with all Antivirus/anti trojan applications that attempt to run under limited accounts

All cleaning software needs to be given the highest level of access to do it's job and limited accounts severely restrict that access

5. Defenestration

Thanks for the info guys. I'll give the Task Scheduler a go.

I'd also like to suggest for TDS-4 that the tds radius database should be stored in "\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data". The reason for this is that the TDS database cannot be updated from a Limited User account, if the Limited User does not have save permissions to the TDS program folder. When I tried it, TDS downloaded the file (to a temp file initially), but could not actually update the definitions (ie. TDS still shows the previous database date/stats).

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

As far as this goes, I believe that DCS will use the correct methods for this as described in the various developers guides.
    The updates for TSS4 will also be "incremental" except for major updates, thus much smaller in size than the current updates :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.