how to restore to different HD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Lembit, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lembit

Lembit Registered Member

Hello everyone,
    I have a PC with PATA raid (mirror) disks partitioned into C: system with windows and programms plus several other partitions.
    I have added one SATA disk and partitioned it in a similar way (the first, K: is an active system partition, almost equal size to C: )
    I have installed Acronis TI 10.0 home, build 4.871 and made a rescue CD.
    Have set up ATI to make a backup-image with verify of the C: at closedown of win-XP once a day to SATA N: .
    today I wanted to test whether I can - in case my raid system fails - restore the image of C: to K: and continue running my PC from K:
    inserted the rescue-CD and started from it full version of ATI.
    found all the drives and the image but then,
    all the wizzard allowed me (under Restore Disks and Partitions) to select from as target was the original C: (oh, and the MBR of course).
    Q:
    is it simply not possible or what did I do wrong?

then I tried to run the restore under 'selected files and directories'
    which allowed me to select any target. I selected to restore all the fiels and directories to K: and verify the image beforehand.
    Now it told me the image is no good......

BTW, when I run ATI from WINXP, and try to restore under disks and partitions, I also get only the C: (original location) to select from.

I assume, I did somethign basically wrongo_O?

thanks for any help
    Lembit

2. Lembit

Lembit Registered Member

since I got no respons so far, maybe I did not make my question clear enough.

so let me try again.

can I restore a HD image to a different HD (same size)?

thanks
    Lembit

3. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

In a nutshell yes. If all you backed up was the C: partition thats all you would be able to restore, how could there be anything else. What choices do you have when you are asked for the destination? You should see all of your available drives. This post by Menorcaman explains how to restore to a larger hard drive https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=769388&postcount=5. Its also applicable to your case. Beware that anything on the destination drive will be completely overwritten by the restore.

4. Lembit

Lembit Registered Member

thank you for responding.
    what I want to do is restore partition C: of the PATA to the primary partition of the SATA.
    In ATI 10 I have two choices when I select the image:
    - restore partition
    - restore selected files and directories.
    I want to do the first (restore partition), but in this case it offers me ONLY the original location, so I cannot restore it to the SATA.

Now, if I chose 'restore selected files' it allows me to restore to the SATA drive, but there it puts everything in a new directory named Drive(C), which is again no help, since I want to boot from that SATA then.

so is my understanding right that I cannot restore a partition to a different partition? I still think I have overlooked something here.

thanks for any further inputs
    Lembit

5. thomasjk

When you select Recovery and then select the image to restore try just selecting the partition NOT DISK1 and see if you get all the drives available. Then select the destination partition. When prompted for another partition to restore say yes and then select the MBR check box. On my desktop this procedure shows all my drives C:, D:, and K:, as available. Be aware that if you follow this procedure everything on your Drive K: will be wiped out. Are you doing this from the boot CD or are you starting from windows?

6. Lembit

Lembit Registered Member

Thanks again, Tom,
    I must be blind or dumb ??
    When I select the image file (which contains only the image of this one partition C: ), I get a display on the right pane showing a box with the HD and its size and right of it a box showing the partition System C: 21.49 GB NTFS.
    Now I click on this box System C: and then on Next.
    then I get to select either restore disk/Partition OR selected files...
    I select disk/partition
    next I get to select the target, but here I only see the partition C: and MBR.

Where did I overlook a switch?

I have gone through this time and again, and find no way to see the other partitions.

- I have tried it both, from the rescue disc as well as under windows XP with same results.

I really need to get it working from the rescue disk, since it is for the emergency case.

Lembit

7. thomasjk

I'm running V9 B3677 but I don't think that will make difference. When you are in the recovery wizard does your screen look like this:

When you backed up the C: partition originally did you check the DISK 1 box?

Attached Files:

8. como

como Registered Member

Lembit

Post images of your steps, a picture is worth a 1000 words

9. Lembit

Lembit Registered Member

thanks, como - didnt know I can post pics here :)
    --and now I dont see how to insert a pic here.
    made a jpg and attached it.

Tom,
    Now I see what you mean, but I dont have the selection box for disk:
    (I hope the attachment works. tried to insert it here from the clipboard, which didnt work)

Well, I must say I dont remember whether I selected the disk for backup or not. So I will make another backup and make sure the disk is not selected

I will let you know how it works

thanks again
    Lembit

Attached Files:

10. thomasjk

Lembit, if you want a bootable partition do check DISK1 to include the MBR when you backup. Are you sure your K: partition is big enough, if not you won't see it as a choice when you restore.

11. Lembit

Lembit Registered Member

I have now done a new backup image of C: (see attached jpg)

when I try to restore it, I get the same result: I can only select the original partition just like I showed in my previous mail.

But if you all can restore it to any other partition on your PC,
    why can I not?

are there some options hidden somewhere which I have not found yet?

thanks for any hints where to search

Lembit

Attached Files:

12. Lembit

Lembit Registered Member

ok, I found it.
    must say I was a bit confused by the wording on the window in question.
    I took it as target location, while obviously it was meant to be the source.
    getting to the next window allows me to select the disk and partition I wanted.

sorry for bugging you all, and thanks for being so patient with me

Lembit

13. thomasjk

I'm glad you got it sorted out. I was having trouble translating the German. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.