How to restore image with multiple partitions...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Sheki, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheki

Sheki Guest

Hello, I purchased TI8 last week after PQ's Drive Image 2002 was giving mne a couple problems.

So I created an image of Drives C & D and saved the image to Drive E.

I've made a few changes to C & D (copied, moved files, etc... nothing major) and tried to Restore the image back to the partitions to make sure the application works appropriately.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to execute the restore, with build 763 at least. I downloaded 768 but haven't installed it yet.

Anyhow, when I try to restore it doesn't even let me select both drives. It only lets me chose one drive. If I pick Drive C it tells me that many programs are open (of course - Windows XP is running). It lets me reboot, but it just takes me to the rescue app where I presumably would have to go thru entire process. Still doesn't let me select both drives.

Additionally, since I have 2 hard drives on my system when I'm in the Rescue application it shows my second hard drive (usually partition H) as my D drive and my actual D drive as the E drive. At this point I stopped because I didn't want TI to override my drive H.

Any thoughts? Suggestions??

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

If select one of partitions you want to restore and proceed with the restore wizard, then you will get to the Next Selection page where Acronis True Image will ask you if you want to restore another partition. Choose Yes here, and this time select your other partition.

When Acronis True Image is started from bootable media, the drive letters assignments may differ from those you see in Windows. This happens because Acronis True Image started from bootable media uses default Windows drive letters assignment scheme that may differ from what you actually have in Windows.
    Anyway the drive letters in Acronis True Image started from bootable media are assigned for information purposes only and do not affect the drive letters assignments in Windows.
    In other words if you are sure what drive letter should be assigned to a partition in Windows, then you can safely ignore the drive letter assignments in Acronis True Image started from bootable rescue media.
    If you are unsure, then I recommend you to contact Acronis support at support@acronis.com and ask them for assistance.

3. Sheki

Sheki Guest

I actually did contact Acronis Support but haven't heard back.

However I was able to restore both partition after rebooting. But the process is tedious as it forces you to go thru the steps one at a time.

I was wondering, why doesn't TI8 have the capability to execute then needed stesp by itself? I realize that restoring a System partition would force the app to go into DOS mode or whatever you want to call it, but why can't the application resume it's operation there? PowerQuest Drive Image 2002 does this flawlessly.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

No doubt you will get the reply.

It is not a trivial task to pass something from one operating system to another (and "DOS" mode is another operating system).
    PQ could have spent years of development on this, who knows? ;)
    But this will be achieved by our development too.
    For now we are sorry for inconvenience.

5. Sheki

Sheki Guest

Did I mention that Drive Image 2002 was sold in 2002? Actually, I think that Drive Image 7 and Norton Ghost force the reboot and complete the install.

I dislike DI7 because it doesn't create single images with multiple partitions.
    I dislike Ghost because it's way too slow...

6. Sheki

Sheki Guest

still waiting...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.