How to restore image in "C" to replace current OS using Acronis True Image?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by z3r0, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. z3r0

z3r0 Registered Member

I have an image of my complete computer (the "C" hard drive with windows xp, all the programs, data, etc). I want to put it in a new pc, which only has 1 partition, C drive also. What I want is to "replace" that C with my old and complete C, now in an image.

Pluged an usb external drive having my image.
    So what I have is Acronis True Image 7 (I know is old but is the one I have) installed on C drive on this computer (remember I want to replace this OS with the image on my usb external drive).
    The problem is, when I try to restore the image I have to say I wanti it in "C" thus acronis tries to delete all (including so and programs, like Acronis True image) and can't do that because they are open). So asks me if I want to reboot.
    Will that work ? Or just will delete files and leave my pc spoiled?

Tried also booting from CD, rescue disk but in that case, doesn't "see" my C drive in order to put the image there...

How do I replace my C with content in my image? (I want to put my old C as operating system, and avoid installing all programs again)

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

You actually will run into another problem .. when restoring an Image to another computer (which has different hardware) you have to use the Universal Restore option which works only with the Workstation version of True Image, not the Home version.

The reason that the CD doesn't see the Image on the external drive is that the CD runs in Linux and it doesn't have the drivers for the chipset in the enclosure.

A workaround for the "different hardware" situation is to make another Image of the old system after you change the display adapter to Standard VGA. This new Image should then be restorable to the different hardware.

A workaround for the CD not seeing the external drive is to download the Trial version of the latest True Image, and make the bootable CD. This CD should be able to restore that version 7 Image. Just in case it cannot, after you install the Trial version and after you have the Display adapter changed to Standard VGA, make an Image with the Trial version (you have to do this from the installed software as the Trial CD will only let you do a restore).

Hope this helps.

3. z3r0

z3r0 Registered Member

Thanks

Oh men, it will take me less time to install all my programas over again, rather than install a new acronis true image 2009 trial, make image again with vga mode -I guess you are talking about changing videocard settings here right clicking desktop, am I right? - , make the bootable cd including the installation of this Acronis as a program still runing on trial, and then try to restore just in case it sees my "C" letter drive and works...
    Then try to reinstall drivers for the new hardware.
    That would be very time consuming...

My idea of the whole C image was to have something fast in case or need to reinstall all again, (and this is the case now). Can't think a situation to use Acronis in a practical way then...

BTW Are you saying that home users dont' have changes to use Universal restore? Can't belive it...
    Isn't there a plugin for that home versions?

4. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

Most of the regulars here will tell you that with a new computer it is better to reinstall all of your applications. This way you don't carry over all the junk that accummulates in the registry over time.

The usefulness of True Image lies in giving you the safety of a backup Image in case for whatever reason your hard drive dies or perhaps you may want to put a larger hard drive in the same computer. You can then restore that Image to the new or replaced hard drive.

And it is useful also to make an Image, say, once a week or once every two weeks or once a month - depends on what you're comfortable with.

Universal Restore does not work with the Home versions of True Image.

5. z3r0

z3r0 Registered Member

I guess may be handy if your hd dies and you buy one just like the one dead to recover some of your data...

But in practice any backup application may help if you can't count with installed programs unless you are talking about same machine, same hardware.

A big deception to me this far

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.