how to restore image from server

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by termy, May 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. termy

termy Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I'd like to know how to restore images from a Windows 2003 Server?
    do I have to configure this server as Acronis Backup Server in order
    to restore images? Any inputs would be appreciated.. thx

Termy

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Termy,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that Acronis Backup Server, when installed on a networked computer, automatically manages backup archives, stored on this computer, in accordance with the rules, set by an administrator. Acronis Backup Server allows the administrator to set up a uniform backup policy for the entire organization. It ensures optimal employment of storage space, used for backup archives. Outdated archives will be automatically deleted; at the same time, the latest data recovery is always possible. In addition, Acronis Backup Server facilitates creation and executing group backup tasks.

Please read more information on how to use Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server in the respective User Guide.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

3. termy

termy Registered Member

Hi Aleksandr:

I guess I did not make it clear with my question.. Let me try again.. I'd
    like to backup all images to our windows 2003 backup server and I want to
    be able to restore these images with Acronis Bootable disk in case one of
    the server crashed. How do I map the drive from Acronis bootup disk to our
    windows 2003 server? I dont see any options that I let me acomplish this. Please let me know.. thx

Termy

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Termy,

As far as I can understand your main goal is to store backups on some machine in your network so that you can afterwards restore these backups by booting the computer that needs to be recovered from Bootable Rescue CD.

If that's the case then please be aware that using Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows you can create\restore backups to\from any machine in your network in two ways:

- Configure SMB share or FTP file server on that machine.

- Install and configure Acronis Backup Server (see section 3.5 of the corresponding User's Guide) on the computer where you want to store your backups.

When booted from Bootable Rescue CD you should be able to browse your network under 'Computers near me' in absolutely the same way as it can be done when the program is running from under Windows.

If you can not find the desired computer on the network then please follow the instructions provided in this FAQ article.

If neither configuring the network settings manually nor specifying the full UNC path to the desired backup archive (e.g. \\server\share\MyBackup.tib) helps then please do the following:

- Boot the computer from Bootable Rescue CD created using the latest build (3633) of Acronis True Image 9.1 Enterprise Server for Windows and press F11 key when the selection screen advising you to select either "Full", "Safe" or "Boot into Windows" option appears;

- After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button, choose "Full Version" and wait for # prompt to appear;

- Issue the following commands:

asamba dhcp -n
    asamba masters

- Write down the output after each of the commands or use a digital camera to make a shots of the output screens;

- Insert a diskette in a floppy disk drive and issue the following commands;

cd tmp
    mkdir mntdir
    mount /devfs/floppy/0 mntdir
    cat /proc/net/dev > mntdir/net.txt
    sysinfo > mntdir/sysinfo.txt
    umount mntdir

- Collect the net.txt and sysinfo.txt files from the diskette.

Note that sometimes the sysinfo.txt and net.txt files are not readable from under Windows. In this case please try entering the file name using capital letters, i.e. SYSINFO.TXT, NET.TXT, or follow the instructions provided in this previous post of mine.

If you do not have a floppy drive then please take a look at this previous post of mine explaining how to save the sysinfo.txt file to USB flash drive (the same applies to the net.txt file).

Please describe your network structure in detail.

Then please submit a request for technical support. Provide the files and information collected in your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the most suitable solution as soon as possible.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.