How to resize default internet explorer window

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AlexGT, May 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlexGT

AlexGT Guest

I like to view my internet explorer window maximized but not in full screen (not the F11 key) but from time to time I surf to a page that changes the size of the window.

The last straw came when some good for nothing page changed it to as tiny as possible that only the internet explorer icon that is on the top left corner and the 3 buttons on the right showed, now everytime I start a open in new window this is the default size.

How can I fix ito_O!!!, How can I get revenge!!!! ;-) Seriously is there a way to make it impossible for those SOB's to adjust the window size.

I thought I read somewhere you manually resize it and pressing a certain key on the keyboard, I already tried alt ctrl alt+ctrl and no dice.

I appreciate your help and sorry if it's the wrong forum to post this.

Sincerely
    Alex

2. ThatSnowGuy

ThatSnowGuy Guest

Close all instances of Internet Explorer except for one.
    Right-click on a link in the page and select: "Open in New Window"
    Close the first browser window using the [ X ] (upper right corner)
    Resize the window manually by dragging the sides to the desired size.
    Note: Do NOT click the Maximize button, you must do it manually.
    Hold down the Ctrl key and click the Close button (upper right)

*you may have to drag the sides first**

if the registry is corrupt......let us know.........pop-ups can cause these results...

3. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Also, after re-sizing by which ever method you choose, instead of closing with the top right-hand [X]...go to File and use Close/Exit....Works for me.

Cochise, :cool:

4. AlexGT

AlexGT Guest

Thank you very very much, It works!!!

You rock!

AlexGT

5. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

This is sort of after-the-fact, since you already got answers that work (and welcome to Wilders, by the way -- you'll find that's typical here, sooner or later answers do work).

Don't forget that if the new window is actually Java, that can't be re-sized due to something mysterious in how Java works. You can usually pop it up to full-screen, but other than that all you can do is move it around.

A related question of my own, while we're "on the phone". Often a link will open a second window -- or you'll want to force it to open as a second window -- which has the advantage that you don't have to reload the first one when you go back to it, especially if you've had to clear your cache and refresh because of problems loading the second one.

Typically I'll get the second one loading almost-but-not-quite maximized, which most of the time is good enough. Is there a way to force it to load already maximized, so I don't have to do that manually afterwards?

Thanks and best,
    Mike

6. SnowGuy

SnowGuy Guest

MIKE

I am not sure if this will work....but.

IE "remembers" the last settings it opened in.....you can try this:

open a ssecond windows by way of link.....once opened don't manually full size...instead go to: "view" an look for "full screen F11" an give that a try......maybe......just maybe the next time that second window will open full screened.........no promises that it will

7. MikeBCda

Thanks Snowguy, but I'm looking merely to maximize that second window, not full-screen it.

And unfortunately, like many other things about IE, remembering window size is very unpredictable and unreliable. The second window does fairly faithfully remember its size from one opening to the next -- but if I maximize it, that part's not remembered the next time.

So I guess I'll settle for the almost-maximized I get now, and maximize it myself anytime that's critical.

Thanks and best,
    Mike

8. dak

dak Registered Member

I don't have an answer for what you want to do, but I think I might have an explanation of why. I used to wish I could have that second window open maximized, too.

Here's my theory - When you click on a link you don't always know if it's going to open the new page in the same window or open another window. So, if it opens in a second window it's slightly smaller than the original window (assuming you have it maximized) to let you know it's not your original window. I think it's supposed to be a design feature for just that reason.

I'd be really confused (even moreso than normal) if it was able to open maximized, because I've done dumb things several times by not paying attention - like yelling, "What the hell is wrong NOW!?!?" when I was trying to back up a page and it wouldn't, because I hadn't noticed it wasn't the original window; or thinking it opened a second window (when it hadn't) and closing it only to find out, too late, that it was the original and I had closed the whole browser (accompanied by more yelling liberally sprinkled with what I learned in Sailor Language 101) instead. Ever had either of those happen to you? :(

So, that's my theory, it opens slightly smaller so you can easily tell if it opened in the original or a second window (and so you don't keep running your blood pressure up and/or pulling your hair out, like I did, by making the same stupid mistakes over and over). And, no, I won't tell how many times I repeated those same mistakes before I figured this out, but now I'm glad it doesn't open maximized. I thought that telling you this might make it a little more bearable having to live with the almost maximized size, especially with the additional "health" benefits.... :rolleyes:

--
    dak

9. MikeBCda

Hi and thanks, dak -- makes sense, or at least as much as anything about IE does. ;)

And yes, you're definitely not alone -- lots of times I've closed IE by closing what I thought was the second window when actually there was only one. :p

10. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Yokenny suggested to me (many months back) that I set my display properties/appearance so my active window border is a contrasting colour. That makes it a bit easier to keep track of things. I know it isn't exactly about size, but thought it might be a helpful idea, just the same. It somehow gets the eye to see things in a different way. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.