how to repair keys

Discussion in 'hardware' started by gettiupgo, Aug 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gettiupgo

gettiupgo Registered Member

after 5 yrs, noticed the keys on keyboard are starting to fade out.what is te best way to bring the key leters back to readable condition,??

mark them with a felt tip pen? or marker,
    maybe try to place a pc of tape over each key?? ect,

how do you prevent keys from fading? thanks

2. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Yes, I hate that. In particular, I love my Logitech diNovo Edge(s) -- but the lettering on the keys wears off in less than a year! Although it's annoying, I love the keyboard, and so the tradeoff works for me.

Anyway, I've tried vinyl adhesive labels. They only last a month or so. Replacement keys are available, but doing an entire keyboard would take hours, and would cost more than a new keyboard.

Edit: I forgot the actual answer. Wash your hands well before using the keyboard. It's the oil.

3. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

4. hierophant

Thank you :)

5. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

IMO any cover you put over the keys or the entire keyboard changes the "feel" of the keyboard - so after 5 years, it may be time to (1) learn to type without watching your fingers or (2) get a new keyboard.

Sadly, you neglicted to tell us if this is a notebook keyboard, or stand-alone. Replacement notebook keyboards available, but not something most users can easily do.

The oils may not help, but more likely it is the friction, not the oil.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

hierophant, you're welcome! Take care.

PS. Bill_Bright's #2 suggestion is dead-on, if the keyboard in question is being used on a desktop.

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Ouch..those are expensive keyboards to replace. Most other keyboards....it's easy enough to get a new one, and cost effective. I swear by Microsofts ergonomic keyboards...(I need them..I have big paws)....but I prefer Logitech mice. The Logi diNovo's are like a 150 bucks!

8. hierophant

Right! Design flaw, I guess. OTOH, I've found nothing better for typing in bed. It's light and thin, and I love the touch pad (although it takes some getting used to). I haven't found anything comparable.

9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I'd like to add that covering the keys of a notebook might also stop the heat rising from underneath, adding to the overall temperature of the machine. I also dislike the plastic feeling under my fingers.

I also wonder whether this is an indication of sorts, I have Asus, Compaq, and Samsung notebooks in my household. Only with the Samsung, after 15 months of use, the letters started to fade (not a cheap machine either).

10. gettiupgo

Thank U everyone,

it is a stand alone keyboard,would thy sell something like these covers at at office max or office depot? thank you again, G:) .U.G.

11. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Re: Thank U everyone,

Often you can find them..depending on the store, or with online places like NewEgg. However...since we know it's a stand alone keyboard, purchasing a new one can be less expensive. And you don't end up with a stiff keyboard. Plus finding a keyboard cover that actually matches your keyboard so it fits optimally...slim chance!

12. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

A most excellent point. While most notebooks have a membrane under the keys to keep spilled drinks from getting into the case, they are often designed to breath to allow heat to escape.

Since this is a stand alone keyboard, I think trying to cover or relabel the keys is a moot point. Newegg has 17 keyboards under $10. Most covers cost more than that and the ones that are less than $10 will probably tear just by looking at them. That said, I'm not suggesting you buy the cheapest KB you can find, but you don't have to spend $100 to find a good one either.

Go buy a new keyboard but don't let anyone tell you which one to get. The keyboard and mouse are YOUR human interfaces to YOUR computer. They have to "feel" right at the end of your arms, not someone else's. There are many good brands, but really, you don't have to stick with the big names.

Go to Best Buy, Staples, Office Max, Office Depot and take them for a test ride. Press the keys and note the travel, sound and feedback. Some folks like a mushy feel, some want a firm resistance. Some want total silence, some want a solid click. Note your wrist position (which means you may have to take the keyboard off the shelf and sit down at a desk).

Also, one mistake I made (once). If your desk has a keyboard tray, note the width of your tray and current keyboard. And if you use your mouse on the tray too, note if you need more space to move your mouse around, or if a wider KB will hamper mouse movement. I once found the perfect "spacious" keyboard, with full number keypad and cursor keys, and extra function keys on the sides. But when I took it home and put it on my tray, the 19.5" wide keyboard did not leave me enough room on the tray for full movement of my mouse. So I took it back and am now using a 18" wide keyboard, which I've been very happy with.

If you choose wireless, Bluetooth is more reliable. And if you buy a mouse/keyboard set, you only need one dongle - but of course, with a set, you may like the mouse but not the keyboard, or the other way around. If you buy separates, you may need two dongles which may or may not be a problem, depending on the number of available USB ports you have.

Finally, ALWAYS have a wired mouse and keyboard handy. In fact, you can keep a wired mouse and keyboard connected and still use a wireless mouse and keyboard with no problems.

13. gettiupgo

Thank You again,

Thank You again,for all the help.will start looking for a new keyboard.
    G.U.G.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.