How To Remove recycle Bin icon?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by QuestionX, Aug 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuestionX

QuestionX Registered Member

I want a clean desktop but that recycle bin icon is sitting there. Any way to remove it? Thankso_O

2. Get

Get Guest

Start -> Run -> type: gpedit.msc -> User configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Desktop -> on the right rightclick Remove recycle bin icon from desktop -> Properties -> tick Enabled -> click Apply -> click Ok -> rightclick on your desktop -> click refresh -> the icon is a goner. :)

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

or download tweak ui and disable it in there
    link
    lodore

4. QuestionX

GET...I Tried gpedit.msc<< windoes xp says can't find<< thanks

5. QuestionX

Lodore... i'll try and let U know...that file at pc world has a poblem so I'll go to Microsoft see if I can download it direct..thanks

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Vista - right click - delete

7. Tunerz

Tunerz Registered Member

Use Tweak UI in removing/hiding it, so it can be done safely, just what lodore said.

If you're in Vista, do what Humpty/Franklin said

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

nLite also allows you to remove the recycle bin icon on a customized Windows installation CD
    along with many other tweakings forever.

9. QuestionX

Ok it's DONE...their ALL gone...went into the reg. and but in a new value @ windows policies, explorer and got rid of all desktop icons..Thanks for all your help..will be back<<< am a dummy<<<..:thumb: :thumb:

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

My God! :eek: So Many Wizz Kids yet none of you could tell him the easy way.......right click on desktop choose properties, and click on Change desktop Icons if your running Vista, or Click desktop and choose remove icons if your in XP :cautious: tks tsk boys and girls, you really should do your homework before sugesting nasty ways, or removing with software :shifty:

11. Get

Get Guest

Then you must have xp home. I assumed pro.

12. Get

Get Guest

I'll give you some homework. Post a picture of the "remove icons"-button/option mentioned above. I have done my homework quite well, but can't seem to find it...:doubt:

13. QuestionX

Thanks GET...xp-sp2..i couldn't find that ICON DVD but everything is GO now and everything has been REMOVED..Now just background and screen saver if I choose..thanks for everyone's help..thinking about upgrading in VISTa but may wait for a while until some of the bugs get fixxed=;) ..later

14. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I dont have Xp installed anymore Get, but I'll guide you though what I remember:
    1: right click on anywhere on your desktop and click properties, or personalize whatever it says
    2: The Window will open, here there are tabs at the top, click on the tab that allows you to change the Wallpaper
    3: In this tab at the bottom left corner is a tab called desktop click on it, and it has the default icons what you can add or remove

As I say, I'm running Vista now but thats the way to find it ;)

15. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Looking at XP home/pro right now.

When you follow your instructions through the Display Properties, The only 4 icons you can remove are:

1) My Computer
    2) My Documents
    3) My Network Places
    4) Internet Explorerr

The only way you can remove the recycle bin in XP is via registry edit, or gpedit in pro, or of course using a tweakui style program, but thats just a gui program that modifies the registry, so back to the first method. :)

See attachment:

Attached Files:

16. Get

Get Guest

Ah, that explains it. I must admit I knew the section you were talking about and also knew it didn't cover the recycle bin. The tone of your post however made asking the known irresistible. Sorry 'bout that. :D

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

In XP Pro one can right click the desktop and select or de-select Show Desktop Icons to show or not show the desktop icons.
    DesktopIcons.gif

Regards,
    Bubba

18. Get

Get Guest

@ Bubba: that setting makes everything on the desktop invisible. Not only the shortcuts and therefor a bit drastic/not practical I would think.

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

"drastic/not practical"

That would be a user decision don't ya think ;) Also....unless I am reading the threader starter wrongly....in the end ALL icons being gone was an additional plus :doubt:
    In any case you are indeed correct that setting makes everything on the desktop invisible hence the selection to show or not show the desktop icons. That was just another way to accomplish the task along with the registry\gpedit member suggestions.

Regards,
    Bubba

20. Get

Get Guest

Yes, that's why I said "I would think". :)

21. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

I have XPproS2 fully patched and the best way I have found to remove the recycle bin and still have functionality with your icons and wall paper on the desktop is to go into the registry. I have used this registry hack and been running my box for a few years with no problems. Go to start run and type regedit and delete the key thats highlighted in red when done close the registry editor and refresh like magic its gone. [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\windows\currentversion\Explorer\Desktop\
    NameSpace\
    {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
    Make sure you back up the key in case you want to restore your trash bin again.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2007
  22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I have to Ask, but how on earth are you going to permanently delete things from the Recyce bin, if its not Accessable on the desktop in the first place, seeing you want it removed :blink: Ist that defeting the Objectivity of such an item in the first instance :cautious:

23. screamer

screamer Registered Member

Remove Recycle bin: All versions:

go to the following key.
    {all versions}

[hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\curr entversion\explorer
    \desktop\namespace]

expand that key and a list of clsid values will be displayed.among
    that find a clsid value named

{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

delete the above clisid value.this is the clsid value that
    corresponds to the recycle bin.after deleting that value restart the
    computer.now the recycle bin icon wont get displayed.

hth,

...screamer

24. Get

Get Guest

Rightclick recycle bin before you disable it -> Properties-> tick "Do not move files to the recycle bin. Remove files immediately when deleted."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.