How to reliably download files from Tor?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by toradrow777, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toradrow777

toradrow777 Registered Member

The few times I've tried to download files from Tor they often stop before completely downloading, giving me only a part of the file. Is there a way to reliably and completely download files?

I'm using the Browser Bundle for Windows, if that makes any difference.

2. Amanda

Amanda Registered Member

Download them. Don't execute them. Don't download them :D

What "reliably" means? If it means "100% privacy" then don't download anything from sites that use cookies or that will run any flash/java/pdf etc. Download and save them (don't execute them yet), then go to a coffee shop and execute it there. Or even better, run Tor and download/execute them there.

I had few problems with downloads stopping for no reason. I just closed the whole bundle and started it all over again.

3. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It could be the slowness of TOR, it could be individual server issues or anything. Your best bet is to just keep trying, which is hell on earth when it's a large file that might take you 2 minutes on a normal connection and 30 minutes to an hour on TOR.

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Some sites kill low-throughput connections.

If you're going to download stuff via Tor, you want to make sure that it never sees the Internet again except via Tor. Otherwise, it might contact the NSA and say "Hey, this is Sniffer, currently at IP address A.B.C.D (Your ISP, Inc). I was downloaded on 2013-08-14 at 10:32:10 via Tor exit IP address W.X.Y.Z."

Using Whonix is the easiest way to accomplish that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.