How to re-split a .TIB file after the fact

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by athorne1974, May 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. athorne1974

athorne1974 Registered Member

TIH 10 (build 4,942) on Windows XP Pro SP-2...

I've created images on an NTFS backup drive but cannot transfer the 4GB files to a USB drive. Conventional wisdom seems to be to use 1492MB (fits on FAT32 drives and 3 to a 4.7GB DVD) or the 700MB pre-defined archive split option. Unfortuantely, that's a bit late for me now!

There was a thread "How to split a .TIB file after the fact" back in November 2007, the conclusion from which was either:

1) Restore and re-image

2) Hope that Acronis will include a re-split feature - they confirmed the request had been passed to the development team, however...

I've searched the options and cannot find a way of doing this. I tried mounting the old image then taking a new image from this drive, but TIH will only create a data image, not a partition image. Most importantly, this means loosing the MBR backup from the original image.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Alex

2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Try the free File Splitter.

http://www.dekabyte.com/filesplitter/

Be sure you do a test reassembly from the pieces to make sure TI can read it properly. A test restore is best but if you can validate the archive then it likely has been reassembled properly.

I used it successfully once, at least to the point of testing the reassembled bits with a validate.

Please report back if it worked or didn't work for you. This issue comes up from time-to-time.

3. athorne1974

athorne1974 Registered Member

Thanks for this. Same here - tested up to the point of a validate.

It's not ideal: it doubles working space requirements and you have to sit though each file being split (no batch mode in filesplitter) but it works. It's a shame because it would not be difficult for Acronis to provide this baic archive management tool (along with change compression level and passwords). Thanks again.

4. aet01

aet01 Registered Member

Hi All.

I am having a similar problem. Consolidation ignores file splitting settings and silently leaves me with a new and gigantic file that can never be mived to DVD.

One workaround is to CONSOLIDATE TO A FAT16 filesystem On an SD card which would force the archive to be split automaticly. When full, copy each file off and reinsert the empty SD. Not ideal, but I thought I would put it out there.

I have not tried it yet, but it was suggested by acronis's psudo-freindly/unhelpfull/insulting tech as an alternative to using their broken quota management.

Another option is to use a zip utility to zip/split the one big archive.

Hope it helps.

Rick.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.