How to prove no email was sent from a certain email address

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Ulysses_, Sep 2, 2017.

1. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Nothing's the matter with us. My reply was based on the information you provided in your posts.

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I'm not familiar with any law, particularly in the US, in this regard. It is a subject I know little about. I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to that question. However, I have been reading back through your posts and note you said:
    Given you consider the other person to be a "corporate psycopath with no quelms", do you really think they'd be prepared and willing to ask their ISP for evidence that they sent an email, assuming logs exist?

My advice is to discuss your concerns with PayPal. It is they who should be able to help in disputes of this kind. I wish you luck in resolving this.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Yes, but the other person isn't complaining about this, are they? You'd need to sue them, and get discovery, I think.

4. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I think I'm starting to hallucinate with this thread - free advice over a $300 loss. Wonder how much time you'd get out of a lawyer....

5. Ulysses_

Ulysses_ Registered Member

Of course they would not ask their ISP! And that is how it would be proven to paypal that there was no email. If there were an email, why didn't they show the evidence for it?

It would NOT be evidence if they just sent a forged copy of the nonexistent email, it would be their ISP that would have to provide the evidence to paypal. Can't believe this is so hard to understand. This is a security forum, it should be trivial.

6. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

So you believe the corporate psychopath is going to tell PayPal they refused to ask their ISP to confirm an email was sent.
    Good luck with that. What if they did send an email to you, just not the one that contained what you wanted, then what.

7. Ulysses_

Ulysses_ Registered Member

The corporate psychopath being a predictable reflex machine like all psychopaths will lie that their ISP does not keep logs. And this is why GoDaddy should first be contacted by myself to find out their logging policy, and then show that logging policy to paypal and say "see? the ISP does keep logs. that crook is lying to you, there is no email"

This is very unlikely but if such a thing did happen, and the useless email got lost too, then I would lose my $300.

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I think this is what you need to read regarding GoDaddy's policy referencing subpoenas. Take particular attention to the section on email (boldened text is my emphasis):

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.