How to protect my PC?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by 4932, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4932

4932 Guest

How can I protect my PC so nobody on forums and sites that I visiting can not see my informations?

What software should I buy and what settings to do?

Thanks

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

do you mean like anonymising your IP?
    a firewall?
    what software do you allready have?

Inf.

3. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I think the member means internet anonymity tools. Just to note, certain info about a user is only visible to people who run the forum, not general members and so there is little need to hide your IP address unless your banned.

Jimbob

4. 4932

4932 Guest

I mean how can I be stealth so they can not see my computer name, operating system, browser, they can not see web sites i visited before...

I do have F-secure Internet Security 2005

Thanks

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You might want to take a look here for a good article on this kind of thing:
    http://www.langa.com/newsletters/2005/2005-01-27.htm#2

Yes, tracking cookies are annoying. "Web bugs", however, are something that's really only more harmful to block than allow. Webmasters don't use last page reffers to track your interests, for example, they use that info to determine who links their site. Reffers only show the page that you clicked on the link to land on their site, not a long list of every page you've visited, and it won't show anything if you typed the URL into the address bar of your browser. For example on my site this allows me to see what sites are sending me the most traffic, and allows me to see when someone has stopped linking my site (you'd be surprised at how many times someone emails me telling me how impressed they are with my site and want to exchange links, only to remove the link from their site after I've linked theirs.)

In short, there's really nothing to worry about with that kind of information being sent to websites that you visit.. and in some cases it's necessary. There are a lot of scam software developers that will try to scare you into buying their software by showing you this information - don't fall for it, they're all scams. If they have to resort to scaring you, it's because their product can't stand by it's own merit. Look more for products that give you information that you understand.. a good product should clearly outline what it does and what it's used for.. not feed you lines about how "they" are tracking your every move and just waiting to rip you off.

That said, AdAware (comes with F-Secure) is good at getting rid of tracking cookies, and Spybot Search & Destroy and SpywareBlaster are excellent companions.. both free, and both will help curb the true threats to your privacy.

6. clueless22

clueless22 Guest

Proxomitron/webwasher/etc etc will do it. Some browsers allow you to fake useragent, referrers etc.

7. rollerdog

rollerdog Guest

To use stealth mode, all you need to do is get a copy of Zone Zlarm from Zone Labs. www.zonelabs.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.