How to prevent user data from Flash, ECT, being stored on your machine!

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Warlockz, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

=============================================================================
    How To prevent user data from Flash ECT, being stored on your machine!

(Without having to go into your flash settings)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Firefox users, their are extensions that will protect you from this!

BetterPrivacy is a Super-Cookie Safeguard which protects from usually undeletable LSO's (Flash-Cookies) or DOM Storage Objects. It blocks longterm tracking on Google, YouTube Ebay and many other domains.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6623

Stealther, for when you want to browse without leaving traces on your machine in the first place! you can keep it enabled 24/7 if you like, (but to bad it doesn't prevent your ISP from catching your data, but that's another VPN topic I'm not going to get into right now LOL)

And yes you can adjust your settings accordingly to your preferences.(like uncheck cookies if you need them to stay logged in to the site your visiting, (BetterPrivacy will take care of them for you)

Stealther will temporarily disable the following...

- Browsing History (also in Address bar)
    - Cookies
    - Downloaded Files History
    - Disk Cache
    - Saved Form Information
    - Sending of ReferrerHeader
    - Recently Closed Tabs list

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1306

NoScript will block flash on all sites unless you manually allow them, + is a must because...Its

The best security you can get in a web browser!
    Allow active content to run only from sites you trust, and protect yourself against XSS and Clickjacking attacks.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

Firefox 3.1 is supposed to have a Private Mode when it is released!

You can also try another extension called Flashblock I never used it before because NoScript does the job just fine, but some may find it useful!

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433

Internet Explorer Users....

Internet Explorer 8 has been released and users have a built in feature called InPrivate Browsing under the safety tab

InPrivate Browsing helps prevent Internet Explorer from storing data about your browsing session. This includes cookies, temporary Internet files, history, and other data. Toolbars and extensions are disabled by default. See Help for more information.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/Internet-explorer/default.aspx

But like usual the Microsoft IE settings suck and you don't really have very much control like you do with Stealther, but.......

You may want to try IE7Pro, I'm not to sure how compatible it is with IE8 though but it offers a load of features for IE to many to list so please follow the link to have a look

http://www.ie7pro.com/

But I will never recommend IE to anybody over Firefox any day!

OK I cant help myself, I know its not sure proof, and its not a VPN but it helps nullify profiling ECT!

You can use an Extention for Firefox called TrackMeNot

It Protects users against search data profiling...

TrackMeNot is a lightweight browser extension that helps protect web searchers from surveillance and data-profiling by search engines. It does so not by means of concealment or encryption (i.e. covering one's tracks), but instead, paradoxically, by the opposite strategy: noise and obfuscation. With TrackMeNot, actual web searches, lost in a cloud of false leads, are essentially hidden in plain view. User-installed TrackMeNot works with the Firefox Browser and popular search engines (AOL, Yahoo!, Google, and MSN) and requires no 3rd-party servers or services.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3173

I like it because all they get is loads of null searches ect, instead of your pure profile data, they have lists of nothingness!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. caspian

caspian Registered Member

In the privacy settings, I have Firefox set to delete all private data when I close it. And in the settings of what to delete, I have all of the options checked.

I have 3rd party cookies unchecked.

I have it set to NOT save passwords.

And where it says to keep history, remember what I enter in forms or search, and what I have downloaded....I have all of those unchecked. Shouldn't that take care of most of it?

I also use Sandboxie and have it configured to use eraser to erase after I close.

Would there still be any benefit for me to use these addons?

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Another method is Deep Freeze, which, upon reboot, will discard anything written to C: (which is frozen).

It's like a huge broom that sweeps all unwanted junk out the door!

----
    rich

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That and AE2 have been two of my most favored investments i ever been privileged to apply to my systems for that highest percentage intrusion deflection. Heck i've even gone as far as using Power Shadow with Deep Freeze before, overkill for sure, but not a single mal infested website could muster enough pressure to bend or break this duo/trio setup.

EASTER

5. Warlockz

I agree with all of you, virtualization is another option, and almost 100% more effective in many ways, like avoiding viruses and malware from killing the OS, but why not add the extra protection for your browsing sessions, regardless if its going to get deleted at the end by a virtual software, you still need protection wile your browsing, not to compromise your current sessions!

Plus their are people who cant afford the Virtual software, and do not wish to use warez...

so I guess theirs something for everyone in this post ;) Cheers!!:thumb:

6. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

You are getting into another area not related to storing Flash data. I mentioned Deep Freeze as a maintenance tool, not a malware blocker.

----
    rich

7. Warlockz

Deep Freeze, Returnil, Sandboxie, Powershadow, they all basically do the same thing!

Prevention threw Visualization!No they are not maintenance tools, No they do not prevent the data from being written, they only delete the data that has been written during your virtual session, which was virtualized from your Original OS, because you were using your virtual OS, not your Original OS!

Or with sandboxie, it virtualizes executable files, and keeps all activities of the current executable session within the sandbox, giving the user the ability to delete the sandbox at any time without having to restart the machine like you have to do with the others to delete the data.

I usually give examples of what I am discussing, this way the users who read my posts get a better Idea of the other advantages different software's have, so when I mentioned malware, I was sharing an extra advantage of using the Virtual software you guys are talking about, like if flash was packed with something nasty, it would be contained within your virtual OS, and deleted at the end of your session.... ;)

8. caspian

Thanks for reminding me. I haven't tried Deep Freeze yet. But it is definitely on my "to do" list.

9. caspian

Okay. I'm going to give those a whirl. Thanks!

10. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I let Proxomitron filter out most of that junk. For the sites that I use Flash on, the FlashBlock extension lets me launch them individually. A little searching led to a scheduled task for Eraser, which takes care of the rest.

11. Z32

Z32 Registered Member

How safe is Deep Freeze to use, provided you start out initially with a 'clean' PC?

Being software, is it susceptible to compromise by an attacker/virus? :doubt:

... and not to jump the gun, but if so, is there a hardware setup that can achieve the same objectives? or should I be using *nix systems/tinfoil ;)

Cheers

Nice thread Warlockz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.