How To Prevent Temporary Internet Files?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Marc39, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc39

Marc39 Registered Member

Hi, as a new NOD32 user, I'm hoping you can help me with an annying issue. My computer accumulates what appears to be cookies or other garbage in the "temporary internet file" I swear, moments after deleting them, two seconds later, another 50 of these buggers appears again in the temporary internet file WITHOUT EVEN SURFING THE NET! I suspect my continued problem with talking ads emanating from my computer and other ads that appear on my screen and then disappear are related to this. Wondering if anyone can advise me on how to prevent these buggers from getting into my computer. I used to use Webroot Window Washer, although I let my subscription expire, and I don't recall problems with ads and so I wonder if anyone uses Webroot Window Washer or another product to help minimize the problem. Thanks.

2. Marc39

Marc39 Registered Member

Just found this suggestion, wonder if it'll work...

Temporary Internet Files - Don't let them stack up
    Submitted by Rick on March 2, 2007 - 12:21am. Riding Shotgun with Rick Internet Tips
    Cleaning out temporary files on our computers (see the archives for Disk Cleanup) remains an extremely important step in keeping them running clean and error free. Programs and Windows create temporary files, when needed, to perform certain functions. The Internet uses temporary files to store cookies, and recently visited web sites and their graphics.

Temporary Internet files serve a useful function when you visit web sites on a regular basis. By storing the graphics and some of the text, our browser doesn't have to re-download the files, thus the page loads faster. On the other hand, these files are extremely small and too many of them on our computer (10's of thousands in some cases) can cause a sever performance drop in our computers.

If you use Internet Explorer as your browser (which you do if you use AOL, Juno, and most other Internet Services), you can limit the amount of space that you allow for the temporary files to build up. I don't recommend that you set the setting any higher than 8 megabytes. Here's how to find and change the setting in Internet Explorer:

From within Internet Explorer, Click Tools --> Options from the menus
    Click the Settings button in the "Temporary Internet Files" section
    Type 8 in the box next to the slider bar.
    Click OK
    Click Apply

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Download CCleaner.
    Enjoy.

Other more complex solutions include using a hosts file, internet cache/temp based on a RamDisk, and blocking 3rd party cookies.

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Marc39 it looks like you solved your problem. Beware of cleaners as they sometimes clean the wrong thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.