How to Prevent Pagefile.sys from being backed up

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by reedm, Mar 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reedm

reedm Registered Member

I am running Paragon B&R 10 Suite, and backing up all partitions. I have the "Skip OS auxiliary files" checkbox checked. My backups still include the pagefile.sys. When I mount the c: drive, where the pagefile.sys is, and look at the mounted partition, a 1Gb pagefile.sys (that is the correct size) is there. I was even able to copy it to a location on my hard drive, where it was 1 Gb in size. I subsequently deleted that copy of the file.

How do I configure things so that the pagefile.sys is not backed up.

On a slightly different, but similar topic, how do I configure B&R 10 so that my various Photoshop image caches are not backed up? The Photoshop scratch file is on a separate partition that I do not backup, but there remains the camera raw cache, and the Bridge cache that do not need to be backed up, and are quite large.

Reed

2. Mech_An

Mech_An Registered Member

1. The content of pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys files are excluded from backup.
    How it works:
    Backup wizard keeps pagefile & hibefil in the Master File table of C: partition , so they are shown as existing after restore.
    The content of such files is not copied.
    The pre-allocated space reserved by Windows for this two files also stays intact.

Result: unnecessary data from hiberfil & pagefile is not included to backup.

2. How to exclude files:
    In the full scale of B&R program go to Settings. There you can set exclude mask of directories and file types.

For example: C:/data/exclude/*.* will exclude all files in the exclude folder.
    C:/data/exclude/DUMP.* will exclude all files with DUMP name.
    C:/data/exclude/*.dmp will exclude all files with DMP extension.

3. reedm

reedm Registered Member

OK, Thanks.

I will try that technique to exclude the various cache files and folders.

Reed

4. reedm

reedm Registered Member

OK, I am not sure that approach will work. Is there a way to exclude named folders?

The Photoshop Bridge cache contains four major folders, with the names 256, 1024, data, and full. Each of those folders contains many folders, with names like 5%2018%21A4B57B3, and each of those folders contains many files, with file names like _DSE1601.dng.jpg.

The Camera Raw Cache has a folder name, and is filled with files with names like Cache0000000001.dat. The suggested exclude approach might work here.

The cache contents is a moving target, being constantly modified based on the images being viewed in Bridge. It seems the exclusions must be based on the four major folders, since everything below is changing.

I will be interested in your thoughts on this. These caches get quite large, so I hate to archive them

Reed

5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Excluding the parent folders 256, 1024, data, and full should do it.

6. reedm

reedm Registered Member

OK, Thanks. I will give it a try now.

Reed

7. reedm

reedm Registered Member

OK, this does not seem to work. I set up the exclusions using the Add Category button under both "Exclude from Copy/Backup" and "Exclude from file backup archives" as follows: D:/Bridge CS5 Cache/1024/ and similarly for /256/, /data/, and /full/. So, four exclusions. The check box at the top was checked. When I ran a backup, on the D: partition, the activity popup seemed to indicate that the selected folders and their child folders and files were being excluded.

However, when I exported the resulting archive to a different drive, and examined the "excluded" folders and files, they were all there, and I could open all the *.dng.jpgfiles mentioned in a previous posting in a viewer and all were present and visable. The exclusion did not seem to have worked. What am I missing here?

Reed

8. reedm

reedm Registered Member

I tried setting an exclusion D:/Bridge CS5 Cache/1024/*.*. This also copied all the folders and files as previously.

The conclusion that I reluctantly come to, is that the Exclusion technique doe not work in B&R 10 suite.

Has anyone gotten it to work in any other versions of Paragon backup and recovery software?

Reed

9. reedm

reedm Registered Member

Some have noted my use of the forward slash /, rather than the more usual normal slash \ as used in normal command line coding. The reason for this is that when you use the B&R 10 Tools>Settings>Copy/Backup Exclude Options, and at the bottom, selecting Add Filter, and then browsing for the folder or file to be excluded, the location is brought in with forward slashes "/" rather than the expected slashes "\". In fact Paragon seems to use forward slashes in file locations where many of us would use normal slashes.

I will evaluate some exclusions testing both slash directions to see if it makes any difference in exclusions, and report the results in this thread later.

Reed

10. reedm

reedm Registered Member

The slash direction has no effect on the exclusion function. Interestingly, inboth cases, all folders and files are contained in the backup archive, but the excluded files are not readable, even though they take up the same disc space as the nonexcluded ones following export. The archive files with the exclusions are slightly smaller, however than the archive files without the exclusion.

Exclusion seems to be working, but when an archive is exported, the complete original structure and file size is created in the exported folders and files. Excluding seems to have no effect on final exported file size. It's just that files in excluded folders are phony and not readable.

Reed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.