How to prevent a user from running a program?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lurningcerv, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lurningcerv

lurningcerv Registered Member

I have a dual boot computer, one partition runs Ubuntu. There is an application that I use in Ubuntu that somehow gave all users permission to use it without password. I don't want this. I at least want the standard user to have to give a password, and I would like to control what other groups have access to this program. How do I see all the users that have permission to use this program, and restrict access to it?

2. _Sim_

_Sim_ Registered Member

You can control the permissions of every file, which includes all applications, with the GNU/Linux file permissions, see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FilePermissions

A group can be created only for the application you want to restrict to special users. Why should a user give a password when he already authenticate himself as a user who has the right to use that application?

3. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

Please don't mess around with UNIX permissions on installed binaries, the package manager will overwrite those on the next update.

Which application specifically is the problem one?

BTW, a general rule on UNIX and its derivatives is that, if you don't want people using a program, you shouldn't install it. Linux can do RBAC and suchlike (with the help of ACLs or mandatory access control frameworks) but it is not a common setup, and makes things complicated.

4. tlu

tlu Guest

This might help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.