How to pointing to a file loader in a bootable partition

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by javier, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javier

javier Guest

Hello,

I am using Disk Director Suit 9.0 (build 537) and I am trying to create a small bootable partition on an external USB2.0 disk which will include the same loader and executables used by a rescue CD I made with Rescue Media Builder. I have partitioned the disk into a data area (NTFS) and the bootable area (bootable FAT16), and copied over all the files found in the rescue CD.

The only think I could not figure out was how to point to the file which is the loader to "boot" in that partition, should it be the active one.

The idea is to have a large standalone "rescue disk" which will contain both the bootable partition with the rescue tools AND a large NTFS partition with all my TrueImages withouth the need of using a CD.

Thanks in advance.

-Javier

2. javier

javier Guest

... which I assume requires to point the FAT16 boot sector to the begining of the file loader, but I just could not find:
    a) Where to find the sector of the loader
    b) Where to write down the FAT entry ones I find it.

-Javier

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Javier,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

We regret to inform you that we do not support custom creation of Acronis Bootable CDs. The only way approved by Acronis is to use "Create Bootable Rescue Media" tool.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. javier

javier Guest

Ilya,

Thanks for your answer. Could this feature be supported in the future ?
    I do like very much True Image, which is far superior to DOS based products.

In any case, based on your answer, I still want to use Acronis Disk Director to enable the functionality I wanted, but now using an alternative product for the imaging, which is DOS based.

Let me re-state my simplified goal:

1) I have created a FAT16 partition which contains DOS and associated files.
    2) I have a second large NTFS partition.

What is the procedure in Disk Director to make my external disk to bootable from that DOS partition ? I assume that it will be required to change the MBR to boot from the DOS partition but I just cannot find how to do it from Disk Director.

Thanks in advance for your support.

-Javier

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Javier,

To make the media bootable you need to write special code to the MBR. The code depends on what you wish to boot from the media. For example, Windows operating system has its own MBR code while Acronis Bootable CD for each product has another. It is recommended that you use the software you wish to boot from the media to make this media bootable. There is no single solution I am afraid.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. javier

javier Guest

In this instance, as I mentioned before, I just need to boot DOS with the standard set of files, which I assume might have a fairly standard MRB.

I purchased both Disk Director Suit and True Image expecting to be able to prepare a stand-alone external disk capable of being used by itself w/o using any CD. I guess my expectations were mistaken.

Since the True Image rescue environment, as I learned later, is not supported outside of the rescue CD - although it is technically possible to have a MRB to support the same and is a very desirable feature - it forced me to go to an alternative image environment that simply use DOS.

I have to say that it was fair for me to assume that a suit called Disk Director would be able at least have support for a simple funcionality as creating an MRB for a DOS partition or at least to give some clues on how to do it or provide some references.

I really understand that MRBs creation does not have a single answer in the general sense of all the OS in the world, however it does have a specific answer for something as simple as a standar DOS, with standard loaders.

It is a pitty, as I deem both Disk Director and True Image as better products than the competition, ... still I will give a last chance for an answer or a reference on how to do the above either inside or outside the tools.

Regards.

-Javier

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.