How to manually accept or deny all in/out internet traffic.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by invaderz, Dec 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. invaderz

invaderz Registered Member

I found out I could do this one day after re-installing windows 8. I have not been able to do it again since for some strange reason. I search through EVERYTHING.

What I found was that there is a way to manually have to accept or deny any request for outbound and inbound traffic.

Each time it popped up there was the name of the requesting address or program, a check box to permanently remember this decision, and accept or deny button.

This was probably the best thing I had ever discovered about the stock windows firewall.

Imagining how it works is one thing but maybe someone out there knows... This seems like the ultimate security against internet threats since it acts as an ACTUAL GATE that nothing can pass through unless I accept it.

Seems like it would make all those other firewalls obsolete for a basic computer user without a real need for internet usage.

-------------------------

If anyone knows what Im talking about can you help me out? I'd really appreciate knowing how to set that up again.

2. invaderz

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? I don't know how I did it but I think it may have been a rule. Every time I try to do it again it seems like it cant be done because my brain wants to click something that says "must get authorization" but there is only block or allow! its annoying!

3. david banner

david banner Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  4. invaderz

Hey Dave that first link didn't work. I've gone around for hours now trying to get this setting back.

I can't even get it to ask me to accept a connection from google.com

When I had this setting active it would literally make me accept or deny everything on the page. Google.com is a small page so it was only about four or five boxes. I guess I will try again tomorrow!

5. david banner

6. invaderz

Ok that was of no use. I basically found all of that myself earlier on today and knew it was worthless as soon as I looked it over. Did you even read my post or are you just posting to post?

7. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

Seems like you had a windows firewall front-end installed. From what I know, windows firewall alone won't give you pop ups whenever a program wants outbound network access.

8. david banner

Go find it your self then i searched that for you while rushing to make an appt. You did not say what you had tried and gave the impression you were a beginner. If you cannot make the firewall work and cannot learn call a tech. i do not believe your answer is not somewhere on the web. Find it your self

You said my link did not work.it didn't but if you knew how links work you could have corrected it
    When someone tries to help you on the limited info you gave you could show a little appreciation even if it does not work for you

9. invaderz

Maybe that is it... I don't remember downloading anything though...

Would you trust that download to be free of any malicious code?

Would you say that I could get more security over what comes in to my pc?

10. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

You can have any downloaded files scanned over at VirusTotal or locally scanned by your antivirus.

An example of a windows firewall frontend is Windows Firewall Control from binisoft.org (you will need to donate a small token fee to get pop up notifiers for programs wanting outbound internet access). You can read more about it here.

As for added security, some consider outbound filtering unneeded. I do use it though for more control of what connects out from my computers.

11. invaderz

Ok I think im getting there...

First of all I deleted ALL rules made by windows. Then I created a rule in both in and out traffic to block all ports unless program has an exception.
    This pretty much blocked all the ports of all traffic only I'm not getting the box asking me if I want to let it through (or add an exception for this program).

With that said if I cant get the "do you want to add an exception box" to open up next best thing is to add an exception to the ports I need to work.

What would I need to open up for basic downloads from websites like Microsofts official website?

All I have to do now is add an exception for specific urls to the downloads I want. Any idea how to add an exception to a specified url?

12. invaderz

I dont like the idea of having to download a program from some site. I don't care what it can do I know that I got this to work before without it. I don't want to get some malicious code into a brand new computer just because it adds a little *flare* to the original fire wall. Like I said I know this is possible i accidentally did it before.

13. invaderz

OK everyone I am back to appolagize. I was thinking about internet options or security settings in IE. You can disable and prompt a lot of stuff. I think thats what I was doing that day. Anyways I still need to find out how to disable all ports except for ones used to download files.

Anyways I still need to find out how to disable all ports except for ones used to download files.

I could probably figure that out on my own. Thanks for trying guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.