How to Manage Backup Archives?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gumboman, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gumboman

gumboman Registered Member

I'm new to Acronis True Image Home 10.0 (am using the trial version to try it out). I have a couple of questions. First, I created a full backup electing "My Computer" as the option. I backed up to an external harddrive. During the backup, does it include all system files as well as the Registry?

Second, with my current backup software, it keeps the backup archives in a catelog that you can go into and delete the older archives to save space (I generally keep two archives available). How does one manage the archives in Acronis True Image? I looked through Help, but got a bit confused. Would appreciate any insights.

Lastly, this is an elementary question and I could probably find the answer with some additional digging, but. I tested a restore and wanted to restore a couple of files to a different location (a work folder). It restored the files to the new location, but not just the single files, it also created the folder and subfolder of the original location under the work folder - I just wanted the files in the new work folder. Thanks for any tips.

Thanks

2. Ralphie

Ralphie Registered Member

If you had a check mark against Disk 1 the backup would be of the entire hard drive.
    Sorry, can't help with the "manage archives" part.
    Yes, when you restore a file it will include the entire original path of the file beginning with c:\, so you will have to eliminate the unnecessary parts of the path manually.

3. shieber

shieber Registered Member

YO need to go through the manual. Buthe short version of the answer is, all files on the drive are backed up if you choose to back up a drive or partition -- except any temporary files that aren't needed for a restore. hibernation and Paging fiels are copied, for this reason, jsut placeholders for them.

Acronis backup images are just plain files so you can put them wherever you want (you specify a location when you make them) and copy or delete or rename them just like any other file.

ATI 10 has some great features to create special directories which will automatically limit thenumber of backups, deleting old ones as new ones are made, based on the age, bytes used, or number of files -- you set the limits. You really need to go through th e manual to get that part down. But once you do, you'll wonder why they didn't do this sooner.

good luck

4. gumboman

gumboman Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. The most important thing I wanted to know was whether the stored file on my external drive was tied into the program and I could not just delete it. You solved that for me. I will go through the e documentation, but they only give you 2 weeks to do so - and it is large and complex. You're probably right, once I get the hang of it, I will probably love it, so far, I like it a lot, but just need to work out a few "habits".

Thanks again for the reply.

5. Inigmntoya

Inigmntoya Registered Member

Recommended reading to fully understand when to back up, what to backup, how long to keep your backups, and when to test your backups.

Told a bit whimsically, but the lessons are tried and true -- be sure to follow the links for extra reading on each topic:

http://www.taobackup.com/

There's an ad at the end -- I have no idea if the product is good or bad, but the lessons are the important part anyway.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.