How to make Windows Recovery Media for BRCompact?

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by brocks, Jan 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brocks

brocks Registered Member

I'm using the BRCompact that they gave away last week, and the help file says I can make a recovery disk in Linux, WindowsPE, or Dos.

My problem is I don't know Linux, but every time I use the menu to make a recovery disk, it comes out Linux. I see no option to change it. I tried writing it to a USB stick, and I tried writing it to a CD, which gave me the option of adding files. In both cases, everything works, the media boots, and I get the BR menu, but the only option for a command line is in Linux.

I need a Windows command line so I can start TrueCrypt (which I added to the recovery media in the CD option) so I can get to my images, which are on encrypted partitions. Even from the Linux command line, when I entered "help" to see the list of available commands, "mount" was not one of them.

Am I missing something in the menus, or is Linux the only built-in option? Is there any way I can create a Windows-based boot CD manually?

Thanks for any help.

2. brocks

brocks Registered Member

By trying absolutely everything, I found that if I boot into "safe" mode from the recovery CD, the command line option is in DOS, and I know enough DOS to get around. But it seems to be useless --- the DOS environment it puts you into is a RAM Disk that doesn't seem to be aware of any hard drives, or even other folders on the recovery CD.

If I just made a bootable DOS CD from scratch, and copied the DOS folders from Paragon's ISO image, would that work?

3. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Hello Brock,

The Linux disk is standard and do not really allow command line actions or running any additional programs with it. I suggest building a BartPE CD using the Paragon plugin and TrueCrypt plugin. This way you'll have both programs under one roof, and from what I understand, BartPE has a Windows command line.

Here is the instruction to create the BartPE CD with Paragon:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=257771

And here for the TrueCrypt.
    http://www.paraglidernc.com/plugins/truecrypt.htm

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  4. brocks

brocks Registered Member

Thanks for the links. Actually I got TrueCrypt working with BartPE without any plugins; TC's newest version, at least, works standalone, so all you have to do is add the files to the disk during creation. I would never have figured out how to get the BR stuff to work, though. I'll try it this weekend --- thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.