How to make Vista Default Programs work like XP's

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

In XP aside from assigning a default application to handle a certain kind of file, you could also deny access to other applications.

An example of the problem I am having is in assigning an Icon editing program to icon files (extension .ico). I assigned the .ico files to IconWorkshop. During the process it listed two suggestions, IconWorkshop and Paint. I, of course, chose IconWorkshop. Yet when I click on an icon file, it is opened by Windows Gallery (not even listed as a suggested choice).

When I use the context menu, open with, there are the same two choices. If I choose Paint, it will open the file. If I choose Iconworkshop, then, once again, Windows Gallery opens it.

My thought was, maybe I could deny access to Windows Gallery. But:
    A) it is not even in the list to start with.
    B) I don't see any mechanism for doing that.

Any ideas how to get Vista to use IconWorkshop when I click on an icon file?

Thanx,

HandsOff

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Hmmm...

1/ SRP or AppLocker? (or is the second one W7 only? I avoid Vista like plague). Yeah, stupid overkill but this extension hijacking is annoying.
    2/ LUA (you'll get an UAC prompt IIRC when an application tries to change associations)

3. HandsOff

I wouldn't call it overkill. Running your programs without interference is what it is all about. It sounds like something worth looking into.

How is this for an extreme alternative? Can Windows Gallery be deleted? Like most windows functionality, the aps I use do it better anyways...

-HandsOff

4. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

5. HandsOff

Global force:

I have found your posts to be very useful in the past, however, I see a lot of links here, and my only real interest is in how to make it go away. The (probably naive idea being that once it is gone, perhaps Vista will let me run the program that I actually want to use!)

I am hoping you could tell me what I would have to do that would not would not get Vista to riled up.

-HandsOff

==============================
    Late entry!

I see that these links might be just the thing. particularly #2.

If I get stuck I will be back.

But thanks very much for the info. I get annoyed only when articles do not tell you enough to enable you to do whatever.

the first bit of the article describes my situation to a "T". I am a little worried about the foreshadowing regarding that it is not easy to get rid of
    For those interested the article begins:

ike the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer found in Windows XP, Vista's own Windows Photo Gallery application is not easy to get rid of. You can install a new application that makes itself the default for your image files, and in some cases, the Windows Photo Gallery will still appear when you double-click image files.

If you want to use another image viewer without making any changes to your system, there are ways to open images other than double-clicking. For instance, you can drag-drop an image file onto the window of any viewer to open it, or even right-click an image file and select Open With to choose another program.

Read more: http://www.techmetica.com/howto/how-to-remove-the-windows-photo-gallery-in-vista/#ixzz0mzC7jL8v

-----
    And yes, I did figure out to drag and drop the item into my application after first having to open it. I don't consider that a very ergonomic process, and I guess I am a primadonna for wanting the upgraded O/S to have the capabilities of the presumably outdated one!

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  6. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Then it's the registry or Frank's File Type Manager - the only mentioned freebie.
    Default Programs Editor, FileTypesMan and Types don't have the functionality.

I didn't list payfers 'cause, like you - I feel it's a feature the OS should carry.

Oh yeah, this page - "file association fixes" incase you get careless.

7. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.