How to make "SmartSystemMenu" work in Sandboxie?

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by Peter 123, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

"SmartSystemMenu" is a (portable) app for configuring size, position etc. of any window by right clicking on its title bar: https://github.com/AlexanderPro/SmartSystemMenu

This configuration is performed via a context menu:

2021-09-22_040705.jpg

The app works fine also for my browser window (Firefox) but unfortunately only when I start the browser outside of Sandboxie. When running the browser sandboxed either the context menu of SSM does not appear at all or (sometimes) it is visible but the commands by clicking on its options do not work.

I already tried it by allowing the SmartSystemMenu.exe to start in the sandbox too, but this did not help: "SmartSystemMenu" itself then indeed starts sandboxed, but the context menu in the title bar of the sandboxed browser still is not here (respectively not working).

Any ideas what I have to do? Thanks in advance.

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It probably doesn't work because it needs to be able to modify Windows Explorer and this isn't allowed in sandboxed processes. Perhaps it can still somehow work via Resource Access, but other people on this forum might be able to help you with this. BTW, it seems like an interesting tool, I think I saw it on SnapFiles. Does it give the ability to make apps remember screensize and position?

3. Peter 123

Thank you. So let's see if other people have also ideas.

I am still a beginner in using it. But I would say that it can do so in two ways:

- It happens automatically - as a window for a certain app reopens in the size and in the position you have closed it.

- You can start an app and then individually determine a size for its window (e.g. I plan to choose for the Adobe e-book-reader the size 750 x 872). By adding the App to "Start Program" (see the last entry in the context menu) you can additionally ensure that its window will always open with this chosen size. (It's position is again the last one when having closed the window.)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  4. Rasheed187

Thanks for the feedback and I did indeed see it on SnapFiles. I've always wondered why on earth Windows never gave the option to force apps to remember screen size and position. Actually, Windows is quite buggy, because even Win Explorer will sometimes open not fully maximized, for no good reason, this has been the case since Win XP, shame on M$. But from what I understood, SmartSystemMenu won't enforce this either.

https://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartsysmenu.html

5. Peter 123

I think when you close the Win Explorer window maximized, SmartSystemMenu will remember it the next time you open it. (And/or you determine the desired size via "Menu (Resize)" in the Settings.)

Interesting site. I did not know it.

6. Rasheed187

I guess I will need to check it out. I'm using a tool called AutoSizer which works most of the time, but it can't control all windows. And yes, SnapFiles is quite a trustworthy download site that has been around for over 20 years or so.

http://www.southbaypc.com/autosizer/

7. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Registered Member

Which Sandboxie are you using? If Plus, you might want to contact David and explain your situation.

8. Peter 123

I have it on my computer too but I have not used it for a long time. (You remembered me now.;)) SmartSystemMenu seems to have the advantage that I can control all relevant functions via a simple right click into the title bar of a window.

I use the classic one. But anyway I would not "disturb" David with this matter. ;) I assume, if he has an idea, he will post it here. Moreover, up to a certain degree there is a workaround:

- Open the browser (Firefox) outside of the sandbox.

- Determine there your favourite size and position of the browser window with SmartSystemMenu. (In my case as second choice because primarily I want to open the browser maximized anyway.)

- As SmartSystemMenu remembers the settings, the next time within Sandboxie I can change to this second choice by clicking the ordinary Minimize button of the browser window:

Mini.jpg

--> Only modifying size/position (via SmartSystemMenu) is not possible within the sandbox. This would have to be done again outside of it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  9. Rasheed187

I wouldn't count on this. I have asked David multiple times to make Sandboxie compatible with SpyShelter and GhostPress but somehow he ignores this request. I believe he's much too busy with developing new stuff and fixing things in Sandboxie Plus. A bit disappointing because I believe he can easily make these apps work with Sandboxie, including SmartSystemMenu.

10. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

At least it's like any DLL-Injection into programs - it wont work inside sandboxie. Your request might be legit but for sure you all have to understand that David need to create an environment for such cases which ofc takes some time and investigation - and the result is usable for a hand full of people.

11. Rasheed187

Well, KeyScrambler which also works via DLL injection, works just fine if you enable compatibility settings in Sandboxie.

12. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

keyscrambler IMO works with a locale sender/receiver connection. it catches keystrokes and send them encrypted to the receiving program. might be important for the difference.

13. Rasheed187

Well, I'm not sure what you mean with this, but I do know that KeyScrambler uses a driver, which should make it more complex, so making GhostPress and SmartSystemMenu work with Sandboxie shouldn't be that difficult in my view, but I might be wrong.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.