How to make Linux more secure?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bktII, May 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

there are some nice scripts on this page, i think i mentioned one of them before.
    http://rob.pectol.com/myscripts/

atm i use vscan.sh.txt and encryption.sh.txt .if you use Ubuntu and want to use one all you have to do is copy the text to a new document and save it as 'virus scan', 'encrypt' etc, then make it executable and put it in ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts you can then right-click files and scan or de/encrypt them :cool:

there are threads about the two scripts i have at http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

2. bktII

bktII Registered Member

iceni,

Libsafe performs dynamic run-time checks in the C language for the following functions:

strcpy(char *dest, const char *src)
    May overflow the dest buffer.
    strcat(char *dest, const char *src)
    May overflow the dest buffer.
    getwd(char *buf)
    May overflow the buf buffer.
    gets(char *s)
    May overflow the s buffer.
    [vf]scanf(const char *format, ...)
    May overflow its arguments.
    realpath(char *path, char resolved_path[])
    May overflow the path buffer.
    [v]sprintf(char *str, const char *format, ...)
    May overflow the str buffer.

It runs tranparently; I tried once awhile back to enable logging to syslog and could not get it to work. The example using "ls" in my previous thread was just to let you see that it was indeed working.

Here is a link:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6701

Libsafe does not protect against ALL buffer overflows.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'll definately try it out in the next day or so (i've just disabled alot of stuff and want to see how that works out first) i can see it's doing it's job. thanks.

4. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I have another nasty problem, at least for me it is, where can i find my e-mail folders in evolution mail?, and i don't mean in the program itself but on the HD.
    In order to train spamassassin i have to ram some spam down it's throat and in order to do that, from the commandline, i need to know where those folders are located.
    I've been looking till i was almost blue in the face, result; nada,ziltch, zero.

Any help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

regards
    Lamehand

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i've uninstalled evolution, but your folders should be in your home directory. probably here -
    ~/.evolution
    the . means it's a hidden directory, you should be able to see it if you do this
    open terminal
    ls -a | grep .evolution
    the -a bit shows all folders including hidden directories, if you just do ls -a it will show all the hidden stuff. if you are using Ubuntu you can make hidden directories visable all the time by doing this
    Places>Home Folder, then in Nautilus Edit>Preferences, then tick the box to show hidden and backup files.

i hope that's what you ment :cautious:

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

7. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    Well, i found the hidden folder but no dice, your suggestion uninstalling evolution might not be so bad, i am going to install thunderbird, at least there i can find the mail folders without any hassle.

Thanks inceni for your assistance.

regards
    Lamehand

Edit: I've found it!!, i was about to hang myself when suddenly it was there.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.