How to Keep archive for limited time?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by brettr, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brettr

brettr Registered Member

I have True Image Home 10. I do a full backup once/wk. I rotate incrementals and differentials every 2 days. So I always have a new differential every other day. Once a full backup is performed, I'd like to delete the previous backup. Same for incrementals and differentials. I only want the most current. This means the backup will be a week old.

Perhaps I have to keep two weeks worth so that the previous full base backup is still available to restore the previous week. Is there a way to automate the deletions?

Thanks,
    Brett

2. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi brettr.
    Yes it's possible to manage backup retention under TI 10.

Please have a look at the User'sGuide, chapter 7, (backup location management)

3. brettr

brettr Registered Member

Thanks. It looks as though there are two options:

1.) Maximum number of backups
    2.) Storage period limits

If I go with #1, it would counting the total number of full, incremental and differential backups during a two week time be what I want? 14 for example.

What does option #2 mean?

Thanks again.

4. jeffn

jeffn Registered Member

The backup restrictions only work on an external drive attached to the computer. If the backup location is on a network, the scheduled backups do not delete the old archives when your rules are violated. There is another thread on this subject.

I've spent many hours trying to get this to work and only recently found the other thread. Just trying to keep you from wasting your time if your backup location is on a a network.

Good luck.

-jeff

5. brettr

brettr Registered Member

Thanks. Do you have a link to the other thread?

6. babac

babac Registered Member

Hi,
    I don't know why you're saying that as the User's Guide says exactly the contrary,as per the following paste:
    7.1.1 Setting a path to the backup location
    Backup locations can be organized
    • on a local (internal) hard drive
    • on an external drive (USB or like)
    • on any rewritable media that is recognized by the BIOS (flash card, for example)
    • on a network share
    • on an FTP server

7. chupakabra

chupakabra Registered Member

8. brettr

brettr Registered Member

The thread you mentioned seems to talk only about people having problems backing up to a mapped network drive. I can do that fine. There isn't any mentioned of it not being able to delete archives based on rules.

I really just wanted clarification on the points I mentioned in the previous post.

9. chupakabra

chupakabra Registered Member

brettr, read more carefully initial message and other messages in this topic. A quick summary: this problem is known for quite a long time and Acronis shows no will to fix it.

10. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The first message specifically mentions ATI's inability to delete files when a limit is violated. "Delete" doesn't seem to show up in any other messages in that thread except post 11 (which is quoted in post 12) but post 11 is not talking about the inability of ATI to delete files.

11. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello brettr,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

"Maximum number of backups" parameter refers to the total number of all backups (full, incremental and differential) stored in a given backup location.
    "Storage period limits" parameter refers to backup age in days; if age of a given full backup exceeds the specified, it is consolidated with the subsequent incremental or differential, or deleted if none available.
    There is also "Location size quota" parameter, which limits the total size of all backups stored in given backup location.
    You can find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis Backup Locations in the chapter 7 "Backup location management" of the respective User's Guide, as babac already mentioned.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

12. brettr

brettr Registered Member

Thank you. As a number of people have already pointed out, there seem to be problems with those options when backing up across a network. Can you give a final word on this?

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello brettr,

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please take a look at this post of mine to find the answer.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.