How to Isolate aMSN in GesWall ?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cancelx, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cancelx

cancelx Registered Member

I added this to my post on GesWall + Avast, but don't know how to delete the threat to add this separately. Hope it's ok?

I have GesWall isolating Firefox, running Avast + Online Armor, VERY NICE.

But here's my problem. I'm using aMSN for chatting. But it still routes through MSN for add-on features. MSN has built in persistant corrupting cookies.

I've tried to ISOLATE aMSN but nothing works.

In Chat Messengers, I ADDed a New Application. Named it aMSN, went to its folder, found the aMSN.exe file

Identified by Name.

Isolate on Access.

But doesn't show up as Isolated, and no G in the aMSN menu.

Anyone ?

I know it starts the wish.exe application, so I tried linking that file name instead.... also nothing.

o_O?

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Isn't MSN chat run through your browser like IE or MSN?

3. cancelx

a chat program is run independant of your browser

4. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi,

Sometimes this helps when GW does not do what you want. Go to the MSN.exe and make the excutable itself untrusted

Regards

5. kjdemuth

Good idea. Strong work Kees! Hows that injury going?

6. cancelx

Kees-- thanks, but I actually listed the amsn.exe as isolate on access , but doing nothing

there is no list for it even in the system folder in geswall , or apps, etc...

very frustrating. I know it calls wish.exe to operate. but isolating it did nothing either.

very odd

7. cancelx

I AM SO STUPID !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did not take the time to Right Click on the aMSN ICON in my start up... it seems GesWall adds menu options in Right Click to any App , hahaha... who'd'a thought....

a simple Start in Isolation is RIGHT THERE in the menu. I didnt need to do anything,.

Oh freak the simplicity of it....

Lesson learned, it CAN be simpler than it looks.

8. kjdemuth

Hey cancelx,
    If you can't get the help you need here, go over to gentlesecurity forum. Look for Henk. If anyone can help you, henk can. Stupid question but did you try running the application wizard?

9. Kees1958

That is why changing the executable itself, works sometimes. I know you added it, so when you mark the executable as untrusted, you do not need to start it with rightc click.

Sometimes right clicking it with and starting as isolated also does the trick. I do not know why GW has these occasional quirks.

10. Kees1958

They have to lock 5 vertebras in my neck, which leaves only two for movement. I thought I would be getting an advise, but both advise and counter advise tell me I do not have another option. Few recover from the injury I had (no pain, just a little less strength in left arm and right leg, can touch my right thumb with/to my pink, and a faint knumb feeling in right knee/both foot soles, that seems to be all).

So within a month I know more (operation succesfull etc)

Regards Kees

11. kjdemuth

Well thats good. I mean the fact that you can still walk and have use of your extremities. Sounds like if all goes well you'll be able to recover well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.