How to Install & Un-install Hijack This ? Noting to do with Hijack This Log

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by chew, Aug 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chew

chew Registered Member

Hi all

Could you explain to me how to Install and Uninstall HijackThis software please.

(I can't seem to access the authors' site for instruction)

So let me briefly explain what I know and what I did.

I know there are two methods of dowloading Hijack This. Right?

i) Via exe. This opens on location and I just point / save on the folder I want.

ii) Via Zip. This need to be extracted to a folder that I want.

That's how I see it anyway ... ahem!

So my problem is this.

I have an old copy of Hijack This version 1.97.7. which I downloaded using exe. the last time and I saved it in My Document folder in a Sub Folder for all downloaded programmes. So being "clever" I changed the file name of HijackThis to HijackThis V1.97.7 so that I could remember which version by looking at the file.

So now that I have been asked to dowload / to update to the latest HijackThis Version 1.98.1 via Zip ... and I did that happily by extracting the exe file to my Sub Folder. (as I read that I did not have to Un-install the previous version and so I did the extraction happily to the Sub Folder) ... errmmm ... I found out later that I had Two Versions of HijackThis in the same Sub Folder now.

The two versions are namely V1.97.7 and V1.98.1.

So now I need to Un-install one of them (V1.97.7) from the Sub Folder.

I read briefly a while back ... to Un-install HijackThis ... I need to:

1) Goto > Config ... in HijackThis programme.
    2) Goto > Misc Tools ...
    3) Click > Un-install button.
    4) ** A message will come up and ask if you want to get HijackThis off your Registry etc., Yes or No.
    5) Click "Yes" ... then Un-install.

Question 1.

Ok ... what does the message mean when it says ** You might have to manual delete of all exe. HijackThis file including the all HijackThis backup ... something like that?

Question 2.

Where are all those HijackThis backup files? Or Where do they actually reside?

Question 3.

Where is the best location folder to save HijackThis? I know the advice is not to save in the Desktop?

Question 4.

Is this the right way to Un-install my old version HijackThis ...

Goto> HijackThis> Config> Misc Tools> Un-install> Yes ... Then manually delete it from the Sub-Folder location where it was initially saved. (file type = Application ... can't find exe file extension there).

Sorry guys for the long thread ... I am just a wannabe ... D'Oh!

Please advice.

Cheers

Chew

P/s: I think all software instructions should be very detail for mere mortal like me ... of how to Install and Unstall ... :D

2. dog

dog Guest

Hi Chew, ;)

Hijack this isn't installed ... it runs off the .exe.

If you wish to keep the older version ... you can create a subfolder in that folder ... ie HJT ver 197 ... and move it there.

The backups are created in the folder that contains the HJT.exe

HTH, ;)

dog - *puppy*

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Hi all :)

I'll move this to Software and Services for better attention. ;)

General Topics is for board related issues.

snowbound

4. chew

chew Registered Member

Hi Dog

Thank you for your explanation.

errmm ... sorry ... but ... that just flew by me so fast ... I am still trying to catch it ... :oops:

So that means HijackThis is not install anywhere else in the system / PC ... just the Sub-Folder where I initially downloaded to? So I can Un-install it by merely exiting HijackThis via Misc Tools > Un-install then just Delete the Programme from the Sub-folder where I keep it? I don't have to do anything thing else right?

Where are the locations / folders of the backup HJT.exe ?

errmm ... I Do Not wish to keep the old version 1.97.7. I want to Un-install it. But I am keeping the new version 1.98.1

Please be slow ...

Cheers

Chew

P/s: Thanks Snowbound for moving to right location. Could you put a link to it as well and close the thread please. ... you know I spent nearly 1O mins trying to decide where to post this thread ...

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

When a thread is relocated a Moved(with header title) link is automatically left behind in the original forum.

If i understand your second request correctly, I just moved your original thread over here, so no need to close it. Anyone who clicks on that moved link will be redirected over here. ;)

snowbound

6. dog

dog Guest

That's right ... just delete the old one. 197

The backups of items removed will be stored in the same (main) folder as Hijack This is stored (there is no subfolder for backups) ... the files will be titled "backup .... "

dog - *puppy*

7. chew

chew Registered Member

Dog

Thank you very much for your swift explanation.
    I got it this time :D.

Yes, I think I will delete the older version since there is nothing in it really.

No, I have Not removed any item(s) using HiJackThis yet so that's the reason why I don't have any stored items in the backup folder.

Ahh ... Now I know. Everything is fine now.

Basically, this thread started with me just trying to update HijackThis for this pc of mine. I messed up a little due to different file name ... D'Oh!

I updated the other (2nd) PC with no problem because the HJT file got the same file name when I downloaded from the MajorGeek's site and it just overwrite the older version (The HJT is for the other PC really ... the one with IE 6.0 problem).

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Cheerio

Chew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.