how to install software to Archlinux

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lurningcerv, Dec 2, 2014.

1. lurningcerv

lurningcerv Registered Member

I have a basic (command line only) Archlinux installation in place on a partition of my hard drive. I want to add lots of software to this, since I would like this to be my OS for day-to-day activities like word processing, spreadsheets, email, voip, etc . The Archlinux documentation wants you to use pacman to install software. But, I read something that says that pacman syncs your installed software with a server somewhere.

"pacman keeps the system up to date by synchronizing package lists with the master server."

I don't want my OS configuration synced to the "master server". Nor do I want anybody updating anything in my computer. In my experience, upgrades cause a lot of problems.

So how to I install software in Archlinux without going through pacman, or at least keep my OS configuration as private as possible.

By the way, I have experimented with apt-get install from the Arch command line, and it does not seem to be included in the base Arch installation.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  2. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

It keeps a list of the packages available to install synced, not the list packages you have installed, that stays local.
    Only you control what is updated/upgraded on your machine. No updates can be pushed from the server with any Linux distro I know of.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.