How to install on-demand antiviruses?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Doraemon, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

I thought that it would be interesting to know your tricks to install on-demand antivirus solutions. I've seen many here that have, i.e. avast Free on-demand only and others too.

Which options do you select on install? Which services/startup items do you disable?

Thanks! :D :D :D

2. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

I use Avast Pro On Demand only. Being on demand I configured for the best performance for on demand scans and have it disabled at all other times. I have also configured it for a once a week whole HD scan on Sundays at 2:30AM when Im asleep.

I installed the file shield. Ive read that without it, in some cases, that it prevents from using the right click scan option.

Within Avast Pro these settings:

-Tray icon unchecked
    -Remote content unchecked
    -Special scans checked (Enables right click scan from within Explorer)
    -Automatic updates set
    -Sounds off
    -Unchecked disable rootkit scanning at system startup
    -Uncheck enable raw access
    -Check enable Avast self defense
    -Load Avast services only after other services

Under scan settings I left all as default except for the right click scan from within Explorer. For that I have these settings:

-Scan all file types
    -Sensitivity normal, using code emulation
    -Test whole files
    -Scan for PUPS (potentially unwanted programs)
    -Enable scanning of all packers
    -Scan priority set to high (on demand I dont want it taking forever to do a simple 50 file scan)
    -And speed up scanning using persistent cache

And then I went into msconfig and removed Avast from the startup there.

3. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Not every program gives you the option to install like Avira does (i.e. installing without the Guard), also with avast! it is quite easy to use it on-demand only (like you and whitedragon found out). The most programs will require you to disable services/start up items and so on. I think there are better alternatives:

*Avira Personal (disable Guard during install);
    *Emsisoft Anti-Malware contains a free version on-demand only (or the Emsisoft Emergency Kit as alternative);
    *Dr. Web CureIt!;
    *Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool.

Or you could use some of the well-known on-demand programs:
    *Hitman Pro;
    *Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware;
    *SUPERAntiSpyware.

Or you could use online scanners, ranked by my preference. There are more by other vendors (just Google "online antivirus scanner"), but these are my favourite:

*ESET Online Scanner - http://www.eset.com/online-scanner;
    *Panda ActiveScan - http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeuse...ns/activescan;
    *F-Secure Online Scanner - http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA-Labs...online-scanner;
    *Trend Micro HouseCall - http://housecall.trendmicro.com;
    *Norton Security Scan - http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/WelcomePage.asp.

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Issue with Dr Web Cure It is that you dont get definition updates. You have to download it each and every time before a scan.

5. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

Yeah, that's a pain in the ~ Snipped as per TOS ~! :blink: o_O :blink:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010
  6. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

On-Demand? Sure - only Malwarebytes! small and efficient

7. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

I use Emsisoft Commandline Scanner on demand. To install it you just unzip it to where ever you want, in my case Z:\My Programs\a2cmd. Since I don't want to look up and type commands into command prompt each time I use it, I added a 'Commands' subfolder to a2cmd parent folder with a number of batch files for basic commands, a folder called logs (for logs) and a whitelist.txt file with old log entries that are false positives or large program directories I consider safe and want to avoid for saving time.

Examples of my batch files:

a2update.cmd:
    a2quick.cmd:
    a2cmd_C_exe_dll_reportOnly.cmd:
    I use the "..\a2cmd.exe" notation to keep the batch files portable.

I use another super useful program called FileMenu Tools, which adds some useful commands to your context menu and also let's you easily add your own commands. To launch a2cmd from it I added the entry shown in the attached pic. (Note: My command only creates a log file in the parent folder of the scan target because I prefer to double check the results with VirusTotal or Jotti -- most of them tend to be false positives in my experience.)

Attached Files:

8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Impressed, where did you find the info on the command line parameters. I also like how you created your own right click on demand scan :thumb:

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

10. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

stapp posted the link for the commands -- I have about 30 batch files in my 'Commands' folder that I've accumulated over the last few years.

I know some people like to also add the update command (or a link to it) to the startup folder so that the program updates automatically. personally i just update it about once a week or whenever I remember.

According to the link, there's an annual price for this scanner, but I don't think that applies to personal use. At least when I started using it, it was 100% free, and to date it has not asked for a license.

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

EAM Command Line scanner IS FREE (Not sure if commercial use is the same) :D (But i also saw that price there, probably it was payware a long time ago)

You can see the commands by running the a2cmd.exe through cmd and then typing commands ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.