How to install a program in Sandboxie?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by DBone, Sep 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I have my defaultbox that I run my browser in, and I made a 2nd box that I want to be able to install new programs in, save them there, and be able to run them..........Right now I'm beyond frustrated.

I have been trying to install firefox to this 2nd box, but it keeps disappearing after closing firefox, even though I selected the setting to never delete contents or delete box in this 2nd box.

How in the freekin' heck can I download firefox and install it into this sandbox, so I can test it out to see if I like it, and have it remain there for as long as I like, no matter how many times I close sandboxieo_Oo_Oo_O??

2. philby

philby Registered Member

I've just tried this and I can get persistence as follows, with the delete SB option unchecked of course under SB settings:

-I created a test box and ran IE in that box to download the FF installer

-I then closed IE

-In SB control (View > Files and Folders), I navigated to C\UserFiles\Personal\Downloads in the test box and ran the FF installer

-I closed FF after it opened for the first time at the end of the install process

-I closed SB control

-When I re-opened SB control, I right-clicked firefox.exe as below and it opened sandboxed.

I can do this however many times I close/exit SB control.

Capture22.PNG

I'm sure there are more elegant ways to do this - I've never actually installed anything in SB before - but this should provide some relief for now.

philby

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  3. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I did some googling and found that I have to open Sandboxie start Menu > select my sandbox > Programs > Mozilla FireFox................Wow, I never would have figured that out.

4. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

You also can run any program by name.

Attached Files:

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You can create a shortcut on your desktop for Firefox.exe and run the
    program from there. It makes things easier. Read "Add Shortcut Icons".
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ConfigureMenu#shell

Bo

6. Sully

Sully Registered Member

If you understand how SBIE works, it is really, really basic.

Remember, the folder c:\sandbox contains all contents of a sandbox, somewhere. It is split up logically if you look at it.

The more you do in the sandbox the more you will find in its respective directory in the c:\sandbox directory.

If you install firefox to a sandbox, you must explore that sandbox, locate the program files folder, then the mozilla folder, etc. Then, you execute firefox.exe.

If you want a shortcut on your desktop, then place one there that points to the correct spot in the c:\sandbox directory. Then you may double click it, and it starts the firefox that is in the sandbox, and you need to do nothing else.

When you install, and SBIE asks if you would like to recover, you obviously don't want to recover the firefox install because you want it to stay in the sandbox. Try recovering shortcuts to the desktop. I don't do it this way, but it might work.

As mentioned, sandboxie has some features that help you. Myself, I just navigate to the sandbox directory, and make a shortcut to the desktop from there if I want one. I have used the sandbox start menu, but it has always been slow. What it needs is instead of showing all the start menu items, to only show the sandboxed items. That isn't how it was designed, but that is what I would like to see.

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.