How to hide the "F11" prompt?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by therkut, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therkut

therkut Registered Member

And Starting Acronis Loader prompt?, Can i on v11? Thanks

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Do you want the F11 startup features or not?

If not, deactivate the Acronis Recovery Manager.

3. truthseeker

truthseeker Former Poster

You are not being helpful.

He wants to keep the F11 feature, but not have the message appear on screen.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello therkut,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

It's possible to remove "Press F11 for Acronis Startup Recovery Manager..." prompt, but not "Starting Acronis Loader" one.

Do do that, remove the "echo Press F11 for Acronis Startup Recovery Manager..." string from F11.cfg file, then reactivate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager. F11.cfg file is located at \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

5. truthseeker

I installed TI11 and activated the secure zone F11 to work. But then I totally removed TI11 from my Windows, and only use F11 now.

So I do not have any folder \Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome and I do not have any F11.cfg file on my entire hard drive.

So how come I still see the F11 message on screen? Seeing F11.cfg file does not exist on my hard drive, where is it reading the F11 text from? The MBR?

6. therkut

Thanks for help, i did it but i cant hide "Starting Acronis Loader..." prompt. Can i hide this?

7. truthseeker

Not possible, unless you locate where it's written and use an HEX hard drive editor or learn assembly language.

8. therkut

Why not? Could be...i'm looking another helpers... Ty...

9. jmk94903

Well, TruthSeeker is pretty much on track. You need to edit your MBR which True Image has modified to start itself when F11 is pushed.

DEBUG.EXE is a program that's part of Windows XP, but it's a command line relict left over from DOS day. It can display and edit the MBR. Use Search to find debug.exe in the Windows folder. Here are two references to how to display and edit the MBR:

http://www.geocities.com/thestarman3/asm/debug/debug2.htm
    http://mirror.href.com/thestarman/asm/mbr/STDMBR.htm

What you are looking for is the text that appears on the screen "Starting Acronis Loader." You can't remove that because it would mess up the MBR, but you can replace the text, letter for letter with spaces so that nothing actually appears on the screen. Be sure not to add one more or one less character than is in the MBR.

As a cautionary note, be sure you have a full disk backup including the MBR before you do this. If you mess up the MBR, you will need to restore it from the backup image before your system will boot and respond to the F11 command.

Good luck.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  10. truthseeker

Use this program:

http://www.x-ways.net/winhex/

Win Hex will do it. And you may be surprised to see what text is on your hard drive too using Win Hex :)

This is what the HELP file says:

"The Master Boot Record is located at the physical beginning of a hard disk, editable using the Disk Editor. It consists of a master bootstrap loader code (446 bytes) and four subsequent, identically structured partition records. Finally, the hexadecimal signature 55AA completes a valid Master Boot Record."

But be careful editing. Do a Acronis TI backup first. Then you can restore the MBR if need be.

But I looked, and I couldn't find that Acronis text anywhere in the MBR. Must be located elsewhere on the HDD. Let me know if you find it.

11. therkut

Thanx brothers

12. jmk94903

Go with TruthSeekers approach and see if you can't search for the text string.

The MBR is small in the default location, so there must be another location used for all the TI code.

13. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

The text string "Starting Acronis Loader ..." can be found in the file bootwiz.sys, if that helps.

A default installation of TI places bootwiz.sys in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImage\ (on Windows XP). However, it's probably also copied to the Acronis Secure Zone, so if you modify the file on-disk you will probably have to de-activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager and remove the Acronis Secure Zone first, then add back the Secure Zone and re-activate the Startup Recovery Manager in order to move the modified copy of the file to the Secure Zone.

Or, if you're using a hex disk editor and can locate bootwiz.sys in the Acronis Secure Zone partition, then you can edit the file directly. Be careful!

14. truthseeker

I totally removed TI 11 from my PC as I only need to use the F11 feature. So I do not have a file called bootwiz.sys anywhere on my entire Hard drive, however, I still see the message "Starting Acronis Loader .."

So it must be located elsewhere. I'll look in my secure zone.

15. truthseeker

The file in secure zone only changes the F11 text when I edit the F11.cfg file

"Starting Acronis Loader...." must be located not in secure zone, but somewhere else.

Even when I changed the text "Starting Acronis Loader...." in the F11.cfg file tha is located in the Secure Zone, it still loads the text, so it's not the text in the F11.cfg file.

Any ideas anyone? I cannot find it located in the MBR either.

16. DonDodge

DonDodge Registered Member

Just a thought here. You could try a super grub disk. Maybe that will show you what's going on since you can edit all the startup commands

17. truthseeker

I actually have and use Super Grub, yet that won't show anything about the Acronis location for the message.

18. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello all,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Backup software.

There are two ways to change "Press F11 to load Startup Recovery Manager..." string. The first one is dscribed by Marat already in the post #4. Please be aware it is necessary to reactivate Startup Recovery Manager and then activate it again after editing f11.cfg file from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\TrueImageHome folder. Surely this scenario can't be applied if you have uninstalled Acronis True Image already.

Here is the second way to change "Press F11 to load Startup Recovery Manager..." string. It can be used even if Acronis True Image is already uninstalled. But in this case Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0 is needed. It does not matter whether you use Standalone version of the program or its Windows version. Here is scenario you should use:

- Run Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0;
    - Right-click Acronis Secure Zone partition;
    - Go to "Advanced -> Change type" in popup menu;
    - Set it to "0Bh FAT32" and restart computer;
    - After rebooting you'll see new partition (actually it is Acronis Secure Zone which is unhidden now). Now you need to edit f11.cfg file from f11 folder which can be found in "Acronis SZ" partition.

After that we recommend you to make Acronis Secure Zone partition a hidden one again (Start Acronis Disk Director Suite 10.0, right-click Acronis SZ partition, choose Advanced -> Change type and set it to "0BCh Acronis Secure Zone") and restart PC.

Nikita Sakharov
    --
    Thank you

19. truthseeker

There is a third way also which I used.

I loaded Ubuntu Linux, and it shows the Secure Zone part of my Hard Drive. I then edited the F11.cfg file that is located in the Secure Zone. I removed the text "Press F11 for Acronis Startup Recovery Manager...".

I did not have to reactivate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager, it loaded as normal minus that text.

However, I could not remove the "Starting Acronis Loader" message.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.