How to have a Box on a drive other than C?

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by Izettso, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Izettso

Izettso Registered Member

I would like to create my containers on a drive other than C. I would also like any other sandbox-related data that cause writes to C drive to be minimal. I suspect that I should use the dialog below for this, but I'm not sure about what exactly to change.

For the sake of argument, say that I want to change to G drive. What would I have to do? Would I have to close Sandboxie-Plus in order to make the change(s)? What about the existing Default Box?

Thank you for any assistance with this.

CopyQ.SvtLJX.png

2. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

You just need to change the file system root line to something like G:\Sandbox\%USER%\%SANDBOX%, or like me drop the %USER% and use G:\Sandbox\%SANDBOX% the existing boxes you will of cause need to move to that new location manually.

3. algol1

algol1 Registered Member

Interesting endeavor and question. The main argument against it from my perspective would be backup. Since malware always attacks the OS and Sandboxie is there to protect it those two somehow belong together. So, provided the location of your OS is on C:\, a backup of that whole installation (preferably on partition-level) would then no longer include the OS's protective companion Sandboxie.

4. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

@Izettso is talking about sbie's containers not program's installation path.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

i remember the sandbox container within users folder, but i may be wrong.
    i put it also outside to a shared drive, but i adjusted folders rights to limit access, in special against malware if this should really happen (28 years without, 28 years in total ;) )

6. Izettso

Izettso Registered Member

Thank you, that's easy to do.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.