How to handle backup disk full?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by BaconTastesGood, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaconTastesGood

BaconTastesGood Registered Member

I have nightly scheduled backups, however my backup disk is now full. I'd like TI to automatically recycle older data instead of just constantly filling up the drive -- is there a standard way to ensure that older backups after N days are purged?

2. thomasjk

thomasjk Registered Member

I believe V10 can handle this. Search the forum. There are some folks who have written batch files to do this in V9.

3. BaconTastesGood

I don't see anything in the docs about this and I have TI 10 Home. This is a fairly significant flaw/issue, in particular with incremental backups. I don't want to delete old backups without knowing what they are/do.

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello BaconTastesGood,

Would use of the Acronis Backup Location function provide what you require? See Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide, Chapter 3.5 for details.

Regards

5. BaconTastesGood

Ah-ha, that's exactly it! I didn't even look at that since the name implies, well, where I want to store backups -- didn't think it was anything more complicated than that =)

6. Menorcaman

I tend to agree with you. Chapter 3.5 really should have a more descriptive title.

Regards

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
  7. pwstreet

pwstreet Registered Member

Hello,

I'm currently trialing ATI 10 Home version. I'm having some issues with scheduling.I have 2 backup locations specified on the same external firewire drive. One is called "C Backups" and the second is called "H Backups". Under Backup Rules, I have Location size quota unchecked, Maximum number of backups is checked and set for 2 and Storage period limits is unchecked. I'm using these exact settings for each location.

Next, I have 2 scheduled tasks setup, both using exact same settings.Using the first as example, under "Select Backup Type", I have "My Computer" selected.

Next, under "Backup Archive Location" I select "C Backups" under "Backup Locations" as directed in user manual for scheduling.

Next under "Backup Policy", I select "create differential backups" and then select "Create a new full backup after 2 differential backups".

Under "Start Parameters" I have checked "When my computer shuts down".
    What I expect to achieve with this setup is that each time my computer shuts down, my C drive will be be backed up to my external drive using a full image backup the first time scheduled task is run and then differential backups the next 2 times it's run.

After these 2 differential backups, I want to start a new full back up and then follow with 2 differential backups of this new backup. This would give me 2 full backups with 2 corresponding differential backups for each.
    Next I would expect a new fullbackup to start at next shutdown and the first (or oldest) backup and it's differentials would be deleted.

Am I correct up to this point?

I'm using these exact same settings on 2 separate computers and am having different results on each.

On the first computer, I currently have one full backup of my C drive in backup location "C Backups" called "2007_02_06_21_23_37_875D.TIB" and 4 related differential backups "2007_02_06_21_23_37_875D2.TIB to ...._875D5.TIB", all run as scheduled on shutdown.

On same computer in Backup Location "H Backups" I have one full backup of my H drive called "2007_02_08_02_11_56_812D.TIB" with 3 corresponding differential backups "...._812D2.TIB to ..._812D4.TIB".

This obviously is not what I hoped to see since both locations have gone beyond the anticipated 2 differential backups before starting a new full backup.

On my second computer, (remember I'm using exact same settings as on first),each backup location has created the full backups with the 2 corresponding differentials correctly but now I have a new third full backup while still retaining the previous 2 with all their differentials.

Again, this is obviously not the result I had hoped to achieve.
    I have double and triple checked all my settings and they are as described above.

Any ideas why I would be getting such different, but still unexpected and apparantly wrong, results from this process? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bill

8. Menorcaman

Hello Bill,

There are a couple of links to previous threads about the Acronis Backup Location in the forum sticky titled <Acronis True Image - Product Links, FAQs & Interesting Forum Threads> in the section called "Wilders Security threads on common True Image problems and solutions" under the sub-heading "Use of the Acronis Backup Location".

With luck, those previous threads may just help to answer some of your questions.

Regards

9. pwstreet

Thanks for the response. I've read through the links you referenced and the only setting I can see that is wrong, based on my settings, is under Backup Location>Backup Rules, I currently have it set for "Maximum number of backups" equals 2. To achieve my goal of always having 2 full backups with 2 differentials for each, it appears I should have maximum number set to 6. Is this correct?

Based on my current settings, it would seem that after one full backup and then one differential backup have been created and the next scheduled task begins (which should be the second differential backup for the original backup) the backup location settings should cause my first full backup to be consolidated with it's related differential backup to maintain the number of backups at 2 (ie; the consolidated original with the first differential and the new, second differential). This consolidation would occur "After" the creation of the new differential...correct?

Currently, as explained in my previous post, on my first computer I am getting one full backup with 4 differentials so far. This is more than the 2 backups it seems I should have based on my interpretation of the links I read and my setting of max 2 under "Backup Rules". So this seems to still not be working as it should.

On the second computer, again based on explanation in my previous post, I'm up to 7 backups in my backup location, which based on explanation in your posted links should be limited to a maximum of 2 based on my setting. So again this does not appear to be correct. The difference with this second computer and the first one, (even though both have identical settings which should lead to identical results) is that the second computer backup location is correctly creating a new full backup after 2 differentials while the first computer is up to 4 differentials with no new full backup.Clearly something isn't right here.

Based on the links you referred me to, it seems that others are also having problems with backup locations and scheduled tasks not working as expected. I hope I can get these issues resolved prior to the expiration of my trial period since there are many things I do like about the program so far but this is a big issue for me. If this feature doesn't work than it would mean that all tasks would have to be run and maintained manually. This is not acceptable at this point as it appears that there is at least one other competing product that can handle these tasks correctly.

I hope you or someone else can help with these issues.

Thanks again,
    Bill

10. speedster

speedster Registered Member

Unfortunately you are not alone with V10 not handling backup rules correctly. My purchased copy has never worked right---I have read all the posts and set it up correctly and yes I pick the backup location off the top of the tree etc. I have done multiple "clean" installs and nothing works. In my case it tries to enforce the rules and hangs for up to an hour when 98% complete and never completes the rule enforcement by deleting the oldest backup.

I have been in constant touch with support about every week or two, over the last two months. I have sent them screen shots and multiple reports and tried multiple things. Even tried to make the backups on my C drive thinking it was an interface problem with my external drive--same problem! Most recently they asked me to delete all Norton software (fun). Problem still exists so it's not a Norton conflict. I emailed this result to support yesterday.

I wish I could recommend this software to you since you have the demo version; but I cannot!

11. pwstreet

Thanks for the reply.It's too bad the scheduling function seems to have so many problems since it really should be a key feature of the program. As I stated in my earlier posts, I'm trialing ATI 10 Home on 2 separate computers and neither of them are able to perform the scheduled tasks correctly. Not only not correctly but with the same tasks scheduled on each, I'm getting totally different results on each so there doesn't even appear to be any consistency in the way the tasks are handled. If I had been testing this on only one computer, I would really be pulling my hair out, not knowing if it was my computer setup, the ATI software or what. But the fact that I'm having issues on each and so many others have posted with same or similar problems can only lead to the conclusion that this is an Acronis issue.
    I like many things about the program so far, having tested pretty thoroughly on each system with only this real issue (other than windows explorer lockups\errors which I can live with). I have 5 days left in trial then I will try ShadowProtect.

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello pwstreet,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, the "maximum number of backups" quote of the backup location should be set to 6 to accomplish this goal.

As for the issue with not following the quotas of the backup location, first of all, please make sure you use the latest build (4940) of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. To get access to updates you should first register your software.

Configure the backup location taking into consideration the above comments and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, please collect the log file from Acronis True Image 10.0 Home that contains the results of image creation when the rules should be applies. In order to do so please do the following:

- run the program;

- select Show log on the toolbar or from the Tools menu;

- select the log with error messages;

- click "Save the log entry to file" (the diskette icon)

Please also open the backup location folder in Windows explorer, set Veiw -> Details and create a screen shot of that folders.

Having collected the above information please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with a solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

13. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello speedster,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Could you please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply to your letter? I will find out how the investigation of your issue is going and provide you with the further instructions, if needed.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.