How to get rid of the Windows 10 upgrade nag permanently?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Apr 17, 2016.

1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Has anyone figured out if there's a way? I'm asking for my mom since she gets all her updates automatically, and if I uninstall the KB that causes it, it just keeps coming back. Thanks.

2. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

3. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  4. allizomeniz

Those are some great ideas, a ray of hope at least. But I had a problem right out of the gate. First, when I ran Never 10 I kept getting an error, "never10.exe is not a valid Win32 application." I uninstalled KB3035583 earlier today so I don't know if it has to be installed already for Never 10 to work or if it's something else. The OS is Win 7 64bit.

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

If you uninstalled KB3035583, it will simply reinstall at the next Super Tuesday update.

Never 10 allows you to turn off the nag screen for good.

6. allizomeniz

I'll just wait for it to install again and then try Never 10. If it still won't run that'll at least narrow it down. Thanks.

7. timcan

timcan Registered Member

8. allizomeniz

I went ahead and installed KB3035583 manually then tried Never 10 but it still didn't work. I edited the registry keys given on the Never 10 Technical Information page and that suppressed the system tray icon. Then I went ahead and deleted the scheduled tasks per the instructions in Tyrizian's first link above. Not sure why Never 10 wouldn't work unless M$ installed something that's preventing it. All seems to be well though for now. Many thanks. :)

9. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

10. Pellechi1

Pellechi1 Registered Member

Allizomeniz,
    I also was getting frustrated with this MS gimmick ... and after trying a number of things, all of which BLOCKED my attempts, I stumbled on the following way that has worked on my DELL XPS L702x Windows 7 machine ...

1) Boot from Restore Disk (Hit F12 as machine starts boot ... select to boot from CD)
    [If you don't have a restore disk, then create one]
    2) It's scary, after the restore disk finishes booting, it brings you to a screen that says SELECT LANGUAGE.
    This scares you into thinking it just might try restoring/installing the OS ... but don't worry ... Just select your language and click NEXT
    3) The following screen should offer you a LIST of options, one near the bottom will be Boot to Command prompt (or similar verbiage)
    4) Once your at the command prompt, note which DRIVE & Directory your in (which should be your System's CD/DVD Drive Number.
    In my case I was in: I:\Windows\System32
    5) You want to use DOS commands to Change the Drive & directory to: C:\Windows\System32\GWX
    When successful, to the left of the flashing DOS prompt you will see your at your target directory.
    6) You then can enter the DOS command: DIR
    This will show you all the files in that directory ... Your interested in renaming 2 Files.
    6a) REN GWX.exe GWX.exe.old
    and
    6b) REN GWXUXWorker.exe GWXUXWorker.exe.old
    7) You then can enter the DOS command: DIR
    Verify you have successfully renamed the 2 files.
    8) Exit out ... REBOOT, (remove the Rescue Disk from the CD/DVD drive)

When your reboot ... it should be gone ... Hopefully for good ... However, If Microsoft wants it to come back again ... I'm sure it's only a matter of Time

Note: I chose NOT to use 3rd party software, OR tweak the Registry OR delete the GWX Directory ...
    This renaming of 2 files seemed the least invasive or destructive ...

Goodluck ...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.