how to get rid of avast

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by poles18, Oct 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poles18

poles18 Registered Member

i dont know if anyone else has this problem and u want to get rid of it and it wont go away. just try this disable the live protection search for avast on your computer and delete all the files that it finds and then get hijackthis and search further in there (after u delete the files restart your comp

2. Littlemutt

Littlemutt Guest

Your post is a bit scary, since I just installed Avast! Pro this afternoon for a trial run.

I found this on their site:
    http://avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

3. btman

btman Registered Member

Avast is a fine anti-virus do not worry littlemut.... I myself though uninstalled it smoothly.

4. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

No offend, but I actually don´t understand what you mean...Are you saying that you want to uninstall Avast but by some reason can´t? Please tell...

Regards, C.

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have uninstalled Avast several times without any problem.
    I just use the Control Panel to uninstall, then search for all files with Avast name in them, delete those, and then go to C program files and see if the folder is gone. If not then I delete it.

I have never had the least problem with it.

Best,
    Jerry

6. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

download CCleaner and run the registry cleaner

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I hope you know that there is Add Remove Programs panel out there.
    Some people are still not aware of it...

Second one is avast! Uninstall tool posted above for situations when default uninstaller fails for some reason.
    http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html

Just download it, run it, select folder in which avast! is installed (make sure you select correct one!) and follow the on screen messages.
    Never really had any probles as dramatic as removing Norton products for example...

8. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

After you follow RejZoR's advice, restore your DCOM with the MS DCOM setup because avast! is notorious for wiping you DCOM.

Dave

9. vlk

vlk AV Expert

What?? :eek:
    Can you please be a bit more specific, or maybe post a link to a page that discusses the problem?

10. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I've been using avast! almost 3 years, install/uninstall it so many many many times without such problems. :eek:

11. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

12. poles18

poles18 Registered Member

no i know about the add remove programs i just told it to remove and then i went scrolling down my add remove list and then it said it was still there i dont know why this happened but it happened to me

13. i_g

i_g Registered Member

Do you have any specific information about avast! disabling DCOM (whatever it should mean)? The page you linked only explains some general terms, saying nothing about any such problem.

vlk is avast! developer and he obviously isn't aware about any such issue...

14. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm not a developer of avast! and i'm not aware of any such thing either.
    DCOM is more like an framework for applications and is not replaced in any way by anything. It's just there like it's DirectX for games.

15. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Registered Member

I know in the past when I was running Avast!, I had to uninstall / re-install a few times for various unrelated reasons. For the most part I did not have any problems with the uninstall and found it did leave a few registry keys though which I removed manually. However the orphaned registry keys were not causing any type of issues or anything and most users would never even know they were there. I am just funny about cleaning out all traces of programs after uninstalls whenever possible.

Overall, I feel Avast! is a good product and I liked it running on my x64 XP machine, It wasn't until a program update came out that it just no longer ran smoothly on my machine but it was a performance issue and not anything like the program was not working. If it wasn't for the performance issues I would probably still be running it on that machine.

I would suggest running the uninstall tool mentioned in another post here and then cccleaner is also pretty good if you don't want to manually clean the keys out.

16. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Avast -- A VERY GOOD PRODUCT -- installs certain DCOM components which can overwrite certain runtime files. This can be seen by installing Avast and looking at the DCOM background task. It is sometime troblesome, BUT A SMALL PRICE TO PAY FOR A VERY GOOD PRODUCT, as it can be repaired so easily. And I did not mean to anger or to accuse anyone.

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.