How To Fix "Remote Procedure Call Failed"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by johnny_castle, Jan 21, 2022.

1. johnny_castle

johnny_castle Registered Member

When I try to access my file types menu in the Windows 10 search/indexing menu, my window locks up/hangs and will not load. I usually have to force-close it, and I get the "Remote Procedure Call Failed" error. I did a little research and tried making sure that Remote Procedure Call (RPC), DCOM Server Process Launcher and Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator were all set properly (which they were).

Just wondering if anyone knows what's locking this up?

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Just wondered if you had tried Settings..Update and Security...Troubleshoot..Additional Troubleshooters and scroll down for Search and Indexing.
    Or perhaps a rebuild of indexing might help.

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

* RPC service

sandboxie is NOT involved?

if not, you should use SFC and DISM (windows tools) to repair your windows because its broken.

4. johnny_castle

During some recent maintenance, I did run SFC (although not sure about DISM). But I do run Sandboxie for all my browsers, and it loads at startup. I'm curious part of is possibly contributing to the error in the other screen?

5. Brummelchen

6. johnny_castle

Ah, now I see what you mean here. I don't think it's sandboxed-based, since this is not a browser thing. If you go to the indexing on your system and click the file-types section, I imagine it'll just click over. Mine hangs/locks up here. Maybe it's trying to make some connection? Not sure what the regular behavior should be here.

7. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

The most annoying thing about this is that I've seen this before but don't remember what caused it. Do you have System Restore enabled and what AV are you using? It's a conflict somewhere but I can't remember where. :confused: :argh:

8. johnny_castle

Dang, so close! I am running BitDefender Total Security 2021-20222. I do have system restore enabled now, but this was behaving like this even when it was off for a while.

9. xxJackxx

Does system restore show any invalid drives? Have you tried removing the search index and recreating it?

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I also suggested that earlier (rebuilding indexing)
    Corruption of it can cause many strange issues as I'm sure you know.

11. xxJackxx

Whooops. It was late when I responded to that, didn't reread the entire thread. :eek:
    I am still wanting to think there is something else involved that I just cant remember. Possibly that the search indexer is trying to index something that does not exist... I'm really wanting to think it was either the indexer or system restore trying to access something that isn't there.

12. Brummelchen

BitDefender has somehow what advantage to Windows Defender? just want to know.

13. johnny_castle

The reason why I was thinking it's not that, is I've had indexing off for a long time, and just recently turned it on. And this was happening before that. So it just rebuilt a few weeks ago.

Not sure, just always used a third-party antivirus. But now I'm hearing from a lot of folks it's best to just use Windows as the default. So I may revert soon.

14. Brummelchen

take your time to get some experience.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.