How to export/import GPO on a standalone PC?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by TairikuOkami, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Hi, I would like to know, if it is possible to export/import GPO on a standalone PC?
    My PC is not part of a domain and I have no domain account, so this will not help:

http://calnetad.berkeley.edu/documentation/technical/gpmc

If I use "gpedit.msc", well I can not export from there and when I use "gpmc.msc", I get this:

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7476/capture01192007161722vm6.th.jpg http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/1091/capture01192007161742uq4.th.jpg

I am trying to get it done for a year and half and so far I found no method, that would work. :'(

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Radical solution:

Go to:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\GroupPolicy

Copy *.adm files and paste in to new machine.

You can try in virtual machine to see if it works.
    You have separate folders for user, machine, scripts etc...

Mrk

3. TairikuOkami

I enabled "Lock the taskbar" in GPO - I copied "GroupPolicy" folder.
    I disabled "Lock the taskbar" in GPO - I replaced "GroupPolicy" folder - restart.
    After restart GPO has been applied. This looks really promising. Thank you man.

I will test it on clean instal tomorrow and then I will report the results as soon as possible.
    About Virtual PC 2007, I can not download it due to some of my settings, so I will just format.

4. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Glad it worked. After 18 months of search ...
    What's gpo taskbar got to do with it, btw??
    Mrk

5. TairikuOkami

Just an example from GPO, but if that worked, all of that stuff should as well.
    I just wonder, how would mine user's GPO apply to other newly created users.

I started my security research 18 months ago, thanks to one skilled russian man.
    He showed me, how to set up NetBIOS, services, I started to use IE7 alfa and so on.
    GPO was mine goal since then and till now, it looked that I will never be able get it done.
    Anyway with GPO working I have no reason to try Linux, since Windows is superior in security.

6. Mrkvonic

Hello,
    Well now you have to thank another skilled russian man - not that I'm russian.
    But I'm disappointed. After 18 months, I made your dream come true - and killed a Linux convert!! No! Come to Linux....
    Windows superior in securityo_O Come on! Creme de la crap!
    Mrk

7. TairikuOkami

Well he only lives and works in Russia, but he is from Netherland.
    Anyway, I just did a clean instal and it works. Thank you very much.

I have been searching for "the best Linux", so far it looked that Ubuntu is nice, but.
    But there are so many things I do not like about it, that I do not know, where to begin.

Well, I have finally get Windows to do, what I want it do it, it is safe without any realtime aplications and now with GPO it will be like a heaven. So I am quite happy. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.