How to enable EASY persistance in various distros?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by zapjb, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

How to enable EASY persistance in various distros? For LiveCD/DVD on USB flash drives.

Was going to respond to this thread. But got the it's too old notice.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=226580&highlight=persistance

Only Puppy has worked OOTB. I find some complicated instructions for other distros. But nothing I can follow.

Btw two programs that make it easy to put distros & make them bootable on USB flash drives. Are UNetBootin & MultiBootOS.

2. katio

katio Guest

There is no "easy" way if your distro doesn't support it.
    You can always install to your USB stick or only use distros that a geared for this kind of usage.

You might like TinyCore which is incredibly fast and "tiny" (yeah, duh), a great feature for slow thumbdrives.

The thread you linked to is about Qemu. Qemu if used alone (and not with KVM for example) is an emulator. This was OK ten years ago but now with (para)virtulaisation there is no point in using it for x86 OSs on x86 hardware. The only advantage is it doesn't need admin privs but that comes at a high cost in performance (and features/usability I have to add).

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. So Puppy it is. Anybody know which other distros persist OOTB or a fairly easy to make it so. With links please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.