How to disable macros in OpenOffice?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by dylanfan, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

Hi... How does one verify the macros in OpenOffice are deactivated? Asking that because a new (the very first in fact) proof-of-concept macroviruse for Staroffice / OpenOffice recently surfaced.

Thanks

2. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I couldn't find that either, but if you go to the menu options>security you can set the security-level for macro's.
    This new virus would only be effective on a openoffice-install on windows, wouldn't it?
    Correct me if i am wrong, i don't know for sure.

Lamehand

3. operafox

operafox Registered Member

HI, I don't know for sure, but if well written enough, it could then theoratically affect any platform it runs on I guess.

This said, one simply can go to Tools/Options/Openoffice.org/Security/Macros/SecurityLevel

There one can see the default level is "medium low", which means that before any macro can run, a prompt will ask the usr for his consent. This level is already good enough to avoid problems.

The "lowest" level would ask nothing at all and let it run, so that's obviously not recommended by now.

Right above "medium low" is "high", which means that a macro should be signed AND coming from a user-defiined trusted source if it is to be run.

The "highest" level requires for the macro to be specifically user-allowed for a specific file. All other macros, signed or not, would be deactivated.

This highest level pretty much equals a complete deactivation of the macro functionnality in OOo, since if a user doesn't explicitly define that a macro is allowed to run for a specific file, then no macro would ever be launched in OOo.

4. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I saw these settings too and went straight for the highest level of protection.
    Indeed you never know with those viruses.

Lamehand

5. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

Thanks guys... Well, it seems security has been taken quite seriously by the OpenOffice guys! That's great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.