How to deploy Image? Acronis true Image server for windows v. 8

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by armin01, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. armin01

armin01 Registered Member

Hello, we are considering to buy this sw but so far I faced nothing but troubles. All I want to do is to create images from remote Computers (mainly Windows XP pro) over the LAN and to deploy them over the LAN again. Images can be done very easy but when it comes to deploy them it's not possible because of this error message:

"... the logical disk you have chosen is currently in use"

Of course it's in use, the OS is up and running but apart from that nothing; it's a test enviroment.

So all I can do is to choose another partition (not the system partition) and then it works. But I want to restore images on the system partition - should be possible ...?
    Thanks, Armin

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Armin,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Acronis True Image 8.0 Server is able to create the image of a local computer only but you may store the image to the network shared fodler. Also this edition will allow you to restore the image to a local computer from the image located on the network shared folder.

Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server does allow you to create the image of a remote computer and store it on any computer in the network. It allows you to restore the image to the local computer only and the image can be located on any network shared folder.

If you need to restore the image to the remote computer you may use Acronis Snap Deploy. It can also deploy the image to several remote computers simultaneously.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. armin01

Thank you for your answer but I don't know what you mean.

- we have acronis true image managment console installed
    - I made successfully an image of the hole Harddisk with this console from a remote test computer
    - I want to deploy this image to exact the same test computer with the managment console
    - I receive the faillure "... the logical disk you have chosen is currently in use"

Should it now be possible to do it this way or not? What shall I do?
    Thanks, Armin

4. Acronis Support

Hello armin01,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Server Disk Backup Software.

Please close all the programs running on your computer that has image files in order Acronis True Image could gain access to hard disk.

If the problem remains please try the following workaround:

- Open Start -> Settings -> Control Panel
    - Open Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management
    - Close Disk Management
    - Run Acronis True Image and try to restore your image

if you want to restore your images please run "Restore Image" wizard and follow instructions.

Thank you,
    --
    Oleg Shegay

5. armin01

Hello, thanks for your answer but as I wrote the premises are different:

I have an Image on "my" computer and want it to deploy to the "testcomputer". That's it.

And I can't do it because of the failure
    "the logical disk you have chosen is currently in use"

May I ask you to look at my question carefully? Otherwise you won't help me - thank you very much, Armin

6. Acronis Support

Hello Armin,

As I said abvove, it is not possible to restore the image of a partition used by operating system using Acronis True Image Enterprise Server. Since you are restoring system partition is it always in use by operating system and therefore cannot be restored remotely. The only way to restore the image of a system partition is to boot the computer you wish to restore to with Acronis Bootable CD and perform the restoration remotely.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. armin01

Hello, so I have to look for a other SW who is able to manage this requirements, thanks anyway, armin

8. Acronis Support

Hello armin01,

You may find Acronis Snap Deploy useful for your purposes. This software allows you to deploy the image to several computers at once. Also the images it creates are the same as those created by Acronis True Image and you may restore the image with both these programs. Acronis Snap Deploy allows you to create images of remote computers as well.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. qbmedi

qbmedi Guest

Armin01,

I encounter the same problem. However, you use the acronis true image for server corp version to create image of the workstation ( like xp pro, 2k pro ). This could be the problem of using server version to deploy for workstation.

Can you try the acronis true image for corp workstation version? It could allow you to remotely deploy WORKSTATION. I cannot do it since the trial version won't allow me to create image in the corp workstation version ( what is the point of allowing me to download without allow me to test it )

Let me know what happen.

Qbmedi

10. Acronis Support

Hello Qbmedi,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Remote Workstation Disk Backup Software.

We regret to inform you that the only Acronis software that allows you to deploy the image of the system partition onto the remote computer is Acronis Snap Deploy. You cannot perform this operation with any edition of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. Qbmedi

Qbmedi Guest

I see.

I thank you for clarify. I thought acronis for corporate workstation version would do but it does not.

Basicallly, you need Acronis TI workstation for corporate version to capture image ( local or remote) and use Snap delpoy to push image to workstations. Is it right.

Thank for clarifying.

Qbmedi

12. Acronis Support

Hello Qbmedi,

Acronis Snap Deploy is able to create image as well. Actually it is mainly used when you have a lot of identical computers and you don't want to install operating system and applications to each of them, so you install everything on one computer, create an image of it using Acronis Snap Deploy and restore it to all the other computers via network.

Acronis True Image Corporate Workstation is able not only to create images of remote (and local of course) computers but also restore remote partitions which haven't got open files on it, i.e. which are not used. Apparently, system partition is always used and always have open files so you cannot restore the image if it using Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.