How to Defeat js Malware etc

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by CloneRanger, Jun 22, 2016.

1. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

For eg, this recent nasty that both encrypts your HD & is a keylogger !

1 - Disable Wscript.exe & Cscript.exe

2 - Install a Script blocker

I downloaded the nasty & double clicked it, knowing i was doubley safe due to my having the above in place since W98SE days. First SD intercepts it, i then click Allow, but due to my already having disabled the above, nothing happens !

RAA-js.png

Not only do these methods prevent such nasties, but others too.

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

3. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes I also disable Script Hosts completely and also add file extensions to Software Restriction Policies designated file types.

4. cruelsister

cruelsister Registered Member

You also may want to consider dumping PowerShell.

5. itman

itman Registered Member

I monitor globally, start ups of jscript*.exe, wscript.exe, powershell.exe, cmd.exe, etc. using Eset's HIPS.

Additionally, I monitor browser execution of any of the following:

jscript*.exe
    wscriptexe
    telnet.exe
    mshta.exe
    cmd.exe
    ftp.exe
    rundll32.exe
    reg.exe
    at.exe

6. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Browser execution of .js is expected and nothing to worry about.

This ransomware executes outside the browser when Windows Script Host runs an email .js file attachment's that been opened.

Just opened - you don't need to double-click on the infected file for it to run and it doesn't need user permission to execute.

There is no real legitimate need to send someone a .js attachment so if you notice an e-mail that has one, delete it immediately and empty it from your trash.

Disable WSH (which is enabled by default) to keep Windows secure. It won't affect .js in the browser and if your browser runs sandboxed, nothing can damage your data.

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Hello Norman,

This is true for js files in a self-extracting rar attachment.

Have you seen where a ZIP file attachment can to the same thing? All of the ZIP attachments with a js file that I've seen are normal ZIP files.

Thanks,

----
    rich

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  8. itman

itman Registered Member

FYI

Within the last few days, researchers have discovered a ransomware strain, called RAA, entirely written in JavaScript. In theory, a future HTML5 malvertising campaign would be able to deliver ransomware directly to the user via HTML5. "JavaScript is a general purpose programming language," comments Simon Crosby, CTO at Bromium. "Once one hacker has figured out how to use it to write crypto-malware, any other hacker can simply read the source code and use it elsewhere. So I expect to see rapid re-use and many variants of this attack." The only way to prevent such breaches, he suggests, "is to use an endpoint isolation technology like micro-virtualization that hardware isolates each tab of the browser from the OS - so that crypto-malware cannot impact the endpoint."

Ref.: http://www.securityweek.com/html5-wont-stop-malvertising-brings-new-threats

-EDIT- Here's a ref. to HTML5 attack vectors: http://heideri.ch/jso/

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.