How to deal with this site?

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by EricP, Jun 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricP

EricP Registered Member

In search of a game cheat code, Google produced this site at the top of the page. "www.captaincode.com/cheats/ win/City_of_Heroes_cheats.htm"

On clicking on the link the site downloaded files into my temp directory and tried to install what AVG describes as

Dropper.Small.5.J

I am attempting to remove this now but it is trying to break out everywhere, here.

People, particularly kids should be protected from this type of trash.

Can someone who knows what they are doing, go to the site and confirm this virus, please.

Note, if you go there, you will get it given to you. I thought I had all Updates, but obviously not. :((

Any advice appreciated.

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi EricP,

Welcome to Wilders.

I would suggest you first do an on-line scan at one of these free on-line antivirus sites: Free Services

Then follow ALL steps and instructions listed HERE for downloading and installing Spybot S&D and/or Ad-Aware, and HijackThis.

Once you have downloaded HijackThis, create a permanent folder for it on your C: (call the folder whatever you'd like) then unzip Hijackthis.exe into the new folder (do not put it in a Temp folder or desktop).

Then open Hijackthis and run it by clicking on the Scan button. When the scan has finished, the "Scan" button will then change to a Save Log button. Press the "Save Log" button and save it to a location you can easily find it. Open the saved log and copy and paste the entire contents of the log here in your next post.

Please do NOT fix anything in Hijackthis by yourself. Most of what it lists will be harmless and even essential. Someone will review your log and reply back with instructions on what needs to be fixed.

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.