How to create unreachable email addresses

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Victek, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I would like to be able to send customers email after service calls without them being able to reach me (they're supposed to go through a help desk and not contact techs directly). I've looked into disposable email address services, but you can't create email with them AFAICT. There must be a way to do this...? Perhaps an alias for a real account that expires after a predetermined time?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. Pleonasm

Pleonasm Registered Member

Couldn’t you setup an email such as NoReply@company.com, and configure your email client to (1) automatically send a message upon receipt of a new email stating the policy to call the Help Desk and (2) automatically delete the email or move it to a folder? In this way, you can send email from that account, but attempts from the recipient to contact you would be ineffective.

Also, note that the Nyms service by Anonymizer allows you to specify an expiration date for an anonymous email alias, if that helps.

3. Victek

Victek Registered Member

That sounds good. I wonder if I could do this with a dedicated free hotmail account? I currently use the Windows Live Mail desktop client and it has a filtering option similar to Outlook.

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Why not just use the customer support email, then any reply will come back to them.

-- Tom

5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Good question - the simple answer is I can't, and I can't get into why either. But yes that would be the logical way to go. What I've done instead is setup a dedicated email account to catch any replies from customers and send them an auto-response with appropriate contact information. Thanks to Pleonasm for suggesting this.

6. chiraldude

chiraldude Registered Member

7. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Why not just make your reply path go to nothing? Also, I get customer service things in email where at the bottom of the email it says:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please do not reply to this email as it is not monitored and will never be seen by us. Please use the Help Desk if you have further issues. Thanks!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.