How to create MBR???

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by nielsb, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nielsb

nielsb Registered Member

OK, so I'm the happy owner of both TrueImage and DiscDirector, and so far they've worked OK (after upgrading to the latest builds).

So here's a question for you gurus out there: I have created an image of an OS on a partition which doesn't hold the MBR. I now want to restore this image to a newly formatted partition and to be able to boot off this partition. As my image is from a non MBR partition, how do I create an MBR - can I?

Niels

2. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Niels,

Try either the floppy disk or ISO CD version of the "Fix MBR" utility available from Acronis via the appropriate link in the Forum Sticky titled <Please Read Before You Post>.

Regards

3. nielsb

nielsb Registered Member

OK - Thanks. That works!

However now after restoring the image and fixing up the MBR, (plus fixing NTLDR etc), I boot OK but at login I'm being immediately logged off again. Can this have anything to do with the fact that the image was imaged from the D: drive but is now restored to the C: drive?

Niels

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi again Niels,

Could be although I'm not sure. However, there's no harm in resetting the drive ID by using Method #3 ("Kawecki's Trick") as detailed in this <Dan Goodell article>.

If you cann't get hold of a Windows 98 Startup floppy send me a Private Message (PM) via this forum containing your e-mail address and I'll send you Zipped ISO (approx 1.6MB) that can be burnt to CD.

To send me a PM just click on Menorcaman at the top of any of my posts and select "Send a private message to Menorcaman".

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.