How to create bootable USB Key rescue media?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Marc_G, Mar 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

Hi-

This is probably a popular topic but I'm having trouble finding a good hit with the search engine.

I want to make a bootable USB memory key that will allow me to start the rescue environment, for situations where I may not have access to either CD or floppy drives.

I trie using the Bootable Rescue Media Builder, and it detected the USB key and allowed me to create the rescue environment on it. True Image 8.0, build 800. Bought just today.
    It included a formatting step allowing either FAT32 or FAT format. Using the default FAT32, the key didn't boot at all. Missing OS error. If I format using FAT, the key starts to boot, and I see the Acronis Loader starting message, then it gives a fatal error about not being able to find the boot partition.

The computer is an IBM T42P which can boot from USB; I boot DOS USB keys all the time. They are recognized as hard drives.

The particular key I'm using is USB2.0 capable; so is the computer.

Any help appreciated.

Sincerely,

Marc

2. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

As a follow-up, another question: is there a document/link somewhere that describes to a linux newbie just how the recovery environment boot process works? This might help figuring out how to get the recovery environment to work from a USB key. Since I can get the loader started before it fails (never gets to the splash screen), I'm hopeful that it is possible. Probably something needs a small tweak...

Marc

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Marc_G,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Could you please send a letter with the screenshots of your actions in "Create Rescue Media Builder" wizard to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread? We will investigate the problem and provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

Will do. Thanks!!

Marc

5. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

Done!

6. Acronis Support

Hello Marc,

If you do not get any response within 48 hours please let me know your Acronis request # which was sent to you in autoreply.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

7. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

Thanks Ilya. I'll wait patiently until Wednesday morning before bringing it up again to you. I'm excited about the product!

Marc

8. Rik Bean

Rik Bean Registered Member

Hi Marc

I'd be interested in the solution, flash drives are a route I may want to take one day.

9. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

Hopefully the solution will be posted here by Acronis tech support when they come up with it. I'm guessing it's no big deal for the creators of the recovery environment to fix... it seems as though the recovery environment is being created on the flash drive assuming it's a floppy, wheras it is being recognized at boot as a hard drive.

I'm not linux savvy or else I'd take a whack at it.

Marc

10. Acronis Support

Hello Marc,

The solution will be sent to you via e-mail and you are welcome to share it with others if you wish.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Marc,

This may not necessarily be the problem. I've created the bootable rescue media on my Captiva USB 2 Hi-Speed flash drive and, on my hardware at least, it boots up no problem. Yes, TI thinks its created the floppy version but my BIOS recognises it when set to boot from a USB hard drive.

It'll be interesting to see what Acronis come up with because other users have previously posted that they can't boot into rescue mode from their flash drives.

Regards

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  12. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

Thanks Menorcaman. Based on your info perhaps my interpretation is incorrect.

I'm looking forward to the solution, out of curiosity as much as functionality. Ilya on this board has been very prompt in addressing the situation and I'll let people know how it goes. :)

13. Marc_G

Marc_G Registered Member

Hi folks-

I heard from Ilya today as excerpted here:

" According to the description you gave on forum you will not be able to create Acronis Bootable Media on your flash drive. Currently this option is not officially suported by Acronis True Image however many customers managed to do that. Our Development Team is working on this feature and we expect it to be implemented in future."

Since there is at least one report of successful creation / usage of a bootable USB Key in this manner, I wonder what the factors for success / failure are?

BIOS support will probably be one of them, but I wonder if the key itself matters?

Anyone who has been successuful, please post with what sort of key you used, and what sort of support your BIOS has for usb devices. And, did you use the full or safe mode?

Thanks

Marc

14. langdon

langdon Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.