How to configure LnS for FTP

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Defenestration, Jul 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I use Directory Opus (www.gpsoft.com.au) as my file manager and FTP client but have come across a problem. When I connect to an FTP site it connects OK but cannot read the folder contents.

I am just using the default LnS settings for DOpus.

Why does it connect OK but yet cannot read the folders contents ?

How do I set-up LnS to allow browsing of FTP sites ?

2. Defenestration

Update - The rule that's stopping the FTP folder contents from being read is

TCP : Block incoming connections (Block incoming packets with SYN flag alone.
    Supposed to block all clients trying to connect to the PC.)

I do not want to disable this rule fully since this would leave my PC open to attack.

How can I allow FTP without disabling this rule ?

Edit: Looking through the FAQ's I found the Look 'n' Stop Rule example: Authorizing an FTP Server. Is this the best way to do it ?

Edit2: I tried this and it still didn't work. I also downloaded and installed the pre-configured rules for FTP client and FTP Server but they didn't work either. Aaaaargh...!

Another problem I've noticed is that my AOL connection is automatically dropped after approx. 20 mins when I have "TCP Stateful PAcket Inspection" enabled. When it's disabled the connection is not dropped. How do you fix this too ?

I really like LooknStop, but these two problems make it unusable for me. I hope someone can help.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2004
  3. qwer

qwer Registered Member

I am using FileZilla and I have imported the FTP.rie .. all works

is there any other problem to care ?

thank you

4. Defenestration

Are you using the Enhanced Rules Set ?

Do you have the "TCP : Block incoming connections" rule enabled ?

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

If you are getting an inbound block are you using active FTP?
    Have you tried using passive FTP?

Regards,

CrazyM

6. Defenestration

Ah, one of the FTP sites that wasn't working is now working. I'm using Active FTP. I tried using Passive mode but it can't switch to that mode.

Re. the AOL problem, I installed the AOL Connection rule but the connection is still dropped after 20mins when TCP Stateful PAcket Inspection is enabled.

7. jebstuart

jebstuart Registered Member

I had the same problem, which has been solved since I placed my FTP-rule between TCP: Block Land attack and TCP: Block incoming connections (the enhanced ruleset). The FTP-rule is active as soon as WinCommander (my FTP-client) connects to Internet.

8. Defenestration

Hmmm..., it's all working correctly now and I'm using Passive FTP (thanks CrazyM - some sites still seem to work with Active FTP). The only thing different was that in LnS I had set up specific ports to use for the FTP client (DOpus) which I had set to 21. It fails to switch to Passive mode with this set.

Can anyone explain why this happens because FTP is using port 21 anyway ?

All I need to solve now is how to stop the AOL connection being automatically dropped after 20 mins when TCP Stateful Packet Inspection is enabled. Any ideas ? I'm on AOL 9 Dial-up and don't like having to disable something because of a conflict (especially something I'd like to have enabled).

What does TCP Stateful Packet Inspection actually protect you from ?

jeb,

Do you know why moving the rule between these two rules work ? I ask because I thought in LnS the rules are applied from top to bottom so as long as the FTP rule is near the top, then FTP should work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.