How to configure avira

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by anderb, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anderb

anderb Registered Member

Hello friends I´d like to know how to set up avira premium edition.Thanks;)

2. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

It comes with pretty optimum settings for most users.
    I have since changed a few like excluding my D: partition from scan since it is used only for storage on my system.

3. CogitoErgoSum

CogitoErgoSum Registered Member

4. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I have made some adjustments to my free version based on post 3. I always just used the default.

Thanks CogitoErgoSum. :)

5. anderb

anderb Registered Member

Thanks for your help:) :D

6. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I don't agree with that setup. Action should not be on automatic repair. It should always be on Interactive. What if it is a FP or what if Avira has a bug and deletes your entire Inbox for your email? The correct advice is to always have it on "ask me". Plus, if on automatic, the box for copy file before taking action should always be checked!

I stopped on that screen so I don't know if I would agree with the other settings or not. I did notice recursive level..that is way too deep I think.

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Turn on root kit detection and turn heuristics to high for both real time and on demand scanner. I also keep the other category of threat enabled like dialers etc.

8. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

No, if you put heuristics on high you will have way too many FP's. Avira is very prone to FP's. Better to leave it at medium. Under extended threats, Avira now comes with Application and Security Privacy Risk unchecked. It is best to leave them unchecked otherwise a lot of innocent programs that you use may get flagged such as some Systinternals programs.

9. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

If we have to uncheck more and more options within this program, in order to get it running and detecting properly, I would look around for another AV scanner......that's for sure.

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

It comes since April 18 with those two antimalware options already unchecked. You don't have to do it. Some folks prefer to have questionable programs detected. I don't like that but I am probably in a minority. pskill.exe from SysInternal PSTools could be a nasty. Something like that can be used for a useful thing or a bad thing. Another example is Key finders which are not necessarily used for bad purposes only. They can find a legitimate key for you but Avira flags any Keyfinders you have unless you keep SPR and Applications unchecked. But keeping those unchecked or checking them and letting Avira alert doesn't make Avira a bad AV.

I almost never agree with default settings on any AV I have tried. I have to fix all of them. NOD32 is particularly bad with its default settings (or used to be is more accurate because I haven't tried it in quite awhile but I don't think default settings have changed much but I am not sure). I had to fix Kaspersky, Norton back when I had it, Trend Micro, F-Prot....I don't think I have ever seen an AV with default settings that I thought were ideal. So, Avira is no different than the rest regarding default settings.

11. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

Nod32 is good enough with the default settings, the only thing you have to checkmark yourself, are the 'potentially unsafe applications' and that's it. You can only improve settings by using Blackspear's configuration, as Nod32 is really tight then. But using the default after installation is nothing wrong with!!
    The other AV scanner I use with 'good' default settings is: Avg Pro.

Most 'biggies' on the top, you have to twirl with in order to get it running the way most 'experts' want and that remains a riddle for me.
    If an AV scanner is not running fast enough.......get another one and don't fiddle around with all kinds of settings in order to speed things up.
    I want security and choose a scanner that rates good and feels good on MY system and don't want any product, that needs deep configuration in order to run properly.
    Just my thoughts......no more, no less.

Most posters here are AV freaks and I don't think any program will ever be satisfying for these freaks. I still think, that a good AV scanner should be able to get installed and 'easily' configured by any one buying this product!!!!!

12. Carver

Carver Registered Member

You can exempt that from being scanned.

13. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

If you are a AV freak, Interactive, and just play with the settings.

14. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I always set action to "ask me" or interactive.
    That's for any av that I run.

15. trjam

trjam Registered Member

mine are set high, but like mercurie said, default is 50 times better then the other guy who says his top notch AV are.

16. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Mele,
    I did make some adjustments, but just to clear the air. Left the heuristics at the default medium. Also I left the depth of the level thing at default too.

I have the free version too so email options are not there.

Maybe I'll go back and change the repair to but out of all the years and AVs only BOClean has ever had a False Positive. I am not viral smart enough to make those decisions. :doubt: :(

17. Carver

Carver Registered Member

If you are afrade of FP you could set heuristics on High and send what Avira finds to Virus-total.

18. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

AntiVir will not delete a 'malware' Email, even if you ask it to, this you must do yourself from within Your Inbox and AntiVir Classic will allow you to do nothing else until you have also removed it from your 'Deleted Items' Folder as well.

AVIRA's default settings are excellent for most users and like most in here, I prefer to tweak the settings for My Ideal.

The first item that caught my eye on AntiVir Premium Users - Configuration?
    was that "Copy file to Quarantine before action" should have a checkmark.:eek:

I prefer Automatic as my scans are done as I sleep, but following the very first scan 20 months ago, all my subsequent detections have been accomplished by the Guard. For Primary action: I have set "repair" and Secondary action: is "rename".

I have no Limit checked for 'recursion depth' and on my old Win98, it found Email's that had been overlooked by Norton and Kaspersky years ago.:D

I also have all other settings set to Maximum and can detect no 'slo-down' of my systems from it.

False Positives seem to affect some more than others, I see about one detection every two months and half are False Positives and half are True Positives. I would much prefer to deal with a False Positive than suffer a True Positive, Un-Detected.:thumb:

This is with the Guard set to Scan when reading and writing, All files and Unpack Archives, no exceptions and High detection level.

For the AntiVir Classic; Interactive is the only option for Guard's "Action for concerning files" and I also use the default on Notifications

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.