How to clone a dynamic C-Disk to new disk

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wfrush, Aug 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wfrush

wfrush Registered Member

I'm trying to move to a bigger disk in a Small Business Server 2003.
    Currently, it has a pair of mirrored, dynamic disks that hold two partitions, C and E. The C partition has become too small.

I've put in new bigger disk. Because the C-Disk is on a dynamic disk, I had to backup to a different disk and restore it to the new disk, increasing the size.

I'm concerned about rebooting this way, though. When I took my mirrored set offline (unplugged the power to them), and restarted with just the new disk, it doesn't boot up. If I leave my old mirrored disks in place, I'm worried that if I boot up and choose the new disk, I may not be able to get back to my old set.

What do I do to make sure that I can reset the partition on the original, dynamic mirrored set in case I have to "go back?"

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello wfrush,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Could you please provide us with the more detailed information on the problem?

- What exact Acronis True Image version and build number do you use?

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

- Clarify whether you use hardware-based mirroring (e.g. some kind of a RAID controller) or Windows dynamic disks;

If you use, Windows dynamic disks, please take a look at section 3.7 of Acronis True Image 9.1 Server for Windows User's Guide describing the limitations for backing up dynamic disks and volumes.

- Did you create and afterwards restore the image of the entire hard drive or an image of a single system partition?

- Where do you store the backup?

- Do you receive any error, warning or informational messages upon the attempt to boot into the restored operating system? If yes, provide the exact text of these messages. Let us know when these messages appear exactly.

- What are the types of both source and destination hard drives (e.g. IDE, SATA, SCSI, etc.)?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

As for preserving your original setup, please keep the source hard drive disconnected while trying to boot from the newly installed disk, i.e. disk that contains the restored operating system. In such a way, you will always be able to revert your system to it's original state by installing the original hard drive back in it's place.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.